Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby with bronchitis and sickness??

(11 Posts)
lisad123 Sun 02-Nov-08 14:15:54

DD2 13months has been weezy and coughing loads. GP and hospital say bronchitis (sp?) but now shes being sick everywhere and wont eat. She is throwing up any liquids. Is it likely to be something else ontop, or wrong diagnosis in first place|??

Cheesesarnie Sun 02-Nov-08 14:18:23

could be phlem from the wheezing?im not sure.tbh id phone nhs direct for advice(but im a panicker!)grin

poor baby hope shes ok.

lisad123 Sun 02-Nov-08 14:20:54

is defo not phlem, its sick and everything going in is coming bsack

theSuburbanDryad Sun 02-Nov-08 14:21:38

That sounds awful lisa - you have my full sympathies.

Ds had something similar at the beginning of the year - it was diagnosed as bronchialitis (which is different from bronchitis, i think) - he was 13 months too, and would throw up every evening. I think it was only because I was managing to get some breastmilk into him that he didn't get too dehydrated, but he weighed in at under 20lbs and was basically skin and bones.

If you're worried about the sickness then take her to A&E (if you have a paediatric A&E, so much the better) but just be aware that unless she's severely dehydrated they may not do anything.

It's really horrible though, when they can't even keep liquids down. sad

lisad123 Sun 02-Nov-08 14:25:23

bronchialitis sorry thats the one, can you tell im tired! could take her, but also worried as she isnt taking her inhaler and has a few spots on her cheeks.

theSuburbanDryad Sun 02-Nov-08 14:28:52

Srsly - if you're worried then take her. They would always rather see a worried parent for nothing than have someone not come in for a potentially serious problem!

If there is asthma there as well then I would definitely either phone NHS Direct or go to A&E.

If I remember rightly, dd isn't your PFB is she? I struggled to gain perspective with ds because he is mine, and I have no real experience with sick children! You're her mum, you're the best person to decide when she's really ill, and if you're worried then take her.

smile

Cheesesarnie Sun 02-Nov-08 14:29:33

take her lisad,even for peace of mind.

lisad123 Sun 02-Nov-08 14:35:01

no she doesnt have ashma, she has the pump because of the breathing. Im not overly worried as she seems fine when not coughing, being sick or tired. She's happily playing on floor at the mo, butknow how quickly they go down hill. And no shes not my pfb wink

LIZS Sun 02-Nov-08 14:43:19

Bronchiolitis can make them sicky too - dd had it at 3 months and that was one of the key symptoms (she was refluxy as well anyway so could be sick readily). Also couldn't really cry. Keep offering fluids little and often (maybe ice lolly ro sips throguha straw?) and if she seems listless due to dehydration seek medical advice again. RSV/Bronchiolitis is the most common reason for hospitalisation in babies , especially in winter.

lisad123 Sun 02-Nov-08 19:19:55

well we ended up in A&E as she couldnt stop being sick Home now. She had steriods and done a fluid challenage, but still no wet nappy. They have let us home on the condition that we come back if any worse and we keep a close eye on wet nappies.Also have to see GP tomorrow. thanks girls. Doctor said she was begining to get very dehydrated as her eyes where snuken, heart racing and looking pale. She said we did the right thing
thanks again MN

Cheesesarnie Sun 02-Nov-08 20:56:33

poor baby-and poor you.hope shes better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now