Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ds2 (18 months) is coming down with a nasty bug, can I give him calpol and neurofen?

(7 Posts)
redclover79 Sat 01-Nov-08 20:54:41

DS1 is still recovering from a really horrid bug and I'm pretty certain ds2 is now going down with it. He had calpol before he went to bed at 7 pm, can I dose him with neurofen as well at this age? And if so, how long should I leave between doses? thanks

MegBusset Sat 01-Nov-08 20:56:48

Yes you can. Check the bottle but IIRC Nurofen is every 6 hours.

amanda12 Sat 01-Nov-08 21:59:44

Yes you can use calpol every 4hrs and neurofen every 6 hrs.

Olihan Sat 01-Nov-08 22:12:31

The best way of dosing them is to give 5mls of Calpol, then 3 hours later 3.5mls of Neurofen, then 3 hours later 5mls of Calpol, then 3.5mls of Neurofen 3 after that so they have the max dose of each drug in 24 hours without over dosing them or having a big gap where they can't have any.

So, for e.g.
7am 5mls Calpol
10am 3.5mls Neurofen
1pm 5mls Calpol
4pm 3.5mls Neurofen
7pm 5mls Calpol
10pm 3.5mls Neurofen
1am 5 mls Calpol
4am 3.5mls Neurofen

(Neurofen has to be 3.5mls because at that age he can only have 15mls in 24 hours).

redclover79 Sat 01-Nov-08 22:38:36

Thanks for the replies, just been to check on him and his temp seems to have come down with the calpol only, but I don't know how long that'll last!

ilovemydog Sat 01-Nov-08 22:42:05

DD was seen in A & E this week and they gave her Nurofen for her temperature. I asked about it, and the nurse said that it was more effective for temperatures....

blueskyandsunshine Sat 01-Nov-08 22:50:54

crumbs

that's a hefty drug schedule olihan

how about staying up and watching and waiting? the temp will help kill the bug. Maybe you could stay up and have a lie in tomorrow as it's Sunday?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now