Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

HAND, FOOT AND MOUTH...ADVICE PLEASE?

(10 Posts)
whispywhisp Fri 31-Oct-08 15:37:33

My 10yr old DD had hand, foot and mouth diagnosed a week ago. She'd been off colour all week and on Thursday started to get blisters on the soles of her feet. Took her to the GPs on Friday who diagnosed it and gave her 5 days of penicillen to combat the infection - because the blisters had become quite sore and puss filled. She then got blisters on her hands and ulcers/sore gums in her mouth.

Here we are a week later and whilst she's no worse she's spent the week feeling very low/lethargic and her feet are still very sore - the blisters are still very much there and are still puss filled.

I rang the GP during the week who told me its just a matter of time and it'll eventually go and to continue giving Calpol 6+. Her feet are today, a week later, still very painful especially to walk on and the blisters are still there. Rang the GP again today who has said to give her 5ml of Calpol 6+ and 5ml of Nurofen, together.

At what point is she no longer infectious to other people...ie school on Monday? Also does anyone know what I can put on the blisters to help them be less painful and perhaps encourage them to go away?!

She's had such a crappy week with this. Doesn't want to do a lot. Hot one minute. Cold the next. Horrible.

bubblagirl Fri 31-Oct-08 18:01:14

to be honest its normally 5-7 days i think but i would def keep off until antibiotics have finished and if no improvement take back to doctors as can be reaccurant normally contagious for the first week i know that

can take 7-10 days to feel well again i really hope she feels better soon

not sure what you can put on blisters to help as best normally to leave open to prevent any infection and to encourage to dry out

bubblagirl Fri 31-Oct-08 18:02:08

to be honest its normally 5-7 days i think but i would def keep off until antibiotics have finished and if no improvement take back to doctors as can be reaccurant normally contagious for the first week i know that

can take 7-10 days to feel well again i really hope she feels better soon

not sure what you can put on blisters to help as best normally to leave open to prevent any infection and to encourage to dry out

bubblagirl Fri 31-Oct-08 18:02:53

sorry problem with browser

bubblagirl Fri 31-Oct-08 18:05:23

my cousin was also advised to keep her son off till sores had healed as most cotagious in first week apparently can still spread a coxsackievirus[sp] can still spread after so best to leave until blisters have healed

whispywhisp Fri 31-Oct-08 20:28:40

Thanks bubblagirl...that's what I thought about keeping her off school...bit like chickenpox I guess? That's contagious until the spots have crusted. The blisters she's got on her feet are still quite red and pussy so until they've died down I'll keep her off. And, in any case, she won't be able to do PE or join in with playing with her mates in the playground cos her feet are so sore so pointless sending her in. Thanks for your help on this. xx

DraculaNeedsArteries Fri 31-Oct-08 20:31:03

hmm I thought HFM was a viral infection. Antibiotics would be useless unless there is a secondary infection.

whispywhisp Fri 31-Oct-08 20:33:30

Yes it is a viral infection. The Dr prescribed anti-biotics because the blisters on her feet were infected.

DraculaNeedsArteries Fri 31-Oct-08 20:55:54

sorry...I managed to miss that in th OP blush

the official advice re quarantine says she does not need to be excluded as far as hte HFM is concerned, and as long as she keeps the skin infection (bacterial) covered then that does not pose a threat to others either.

Obviously if she is unwell in herself it is a different matter - but no need to exclude her from an infectiousness POV.

whispywhisp Fri 31-Oct-08 21:00:55

Thanks Dracula...I think its going to be more a case of keeping her off because she's finding it very uncomfortable to walk and still isn't 100% in herself. As far as the infectious side of it is concerned...she can damn well take it back to where she brought it home from..school!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: