Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

cradle cap STIlLL, dd is 3

(10 Posts)
gemmiegoatlegs Thu 30-Oct-08 20:48:35

dd is 3 and a bit, her baby cradle cap never really cleared up, although her skin isn't generally dry. It got better for a while but lately it has beemn getting worse again. Her scalp is quite flaky and she is scratching it too. is ther anything I can try? Would an adult T-Gel shampoo be an option for her? i am trying not to wash her hair too much - currently only twice a week

AMumInScotland Thu 30-Oct-08 20:57:58

I used T-Gel (the medicated version, I think there are a few different ones now) on DS from about 2 for cradle cap / sebborheic dermatitis and it really helped keep it under control.

Waswondering Thu 30-Oct-08 21:00:07

I'm sure I read on here before about rubbing olive oil into the scalp and then gently combing it with a nitty gritty or similar the next day - but have never tried that myself!

Ds has only just lost his cradle cap - he's five.

gemmiegoatlegs Thu 30-Oct-08 21:01:59

oh, i thought my dd was the only one. I really expected it to have gone by now...she has such pretty hair. Not sure about the oil and combing, sounds vaguely disgusting! I might try the T Gel Amumin

Waswondering Thu 30-Oct-08 21:04:47

Agree with disgusting grin

MissisBoot Thu 30-Oct-08 21:05:11

You might need to wash her hair more often as it is the build up of oil that causes the cradle cap - dd used to have it and I used to wash it once or twice a week, but as soon as I started washing it more often it really cleared up.

Olive oil also works.

gemmiegoatlegs Thu 30-Oct-08 21:08:25

ok MissisBoot, I thought maybe the washing would make it worse. its bathtime every night from now on!

MissisBoot Thu 30-Oct-08 21:10:04

that's what I thought too, but it really made a difference washing her hair every other night much to her disgust

charmander Thu 30-Oct-08 21:13:00

my eldest still gets it aged 10 years, just to cheer you up.

charmander Thu 30-Oct-08 21:14:57

agree with nitty gritty comb- any time we use that for nits on my 3 we get loads of cradle cap coming off. I use aqueous cream or conditioner as it is less mess than oil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now