Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Thermometers - which one - please help

(7 Posts)
Bezagirl Wed 29-Oct-08 19:54:11

Hi
Please could you tell me which thermometers you have tried. I was thinking about the one which goes in the ear, but know they are expensive. Are they more accurate?
Any advice please?

BigAxeToChopOffYourThread Wed 29-Oct-08 20:02:01

we have one that goes in the ear. a friend bought it for us as a 'new baby' present. it has been a godsend!

twentynine Wed 29-Oct-08 20:02:29

They are more accurate and most importantly you don't have to get a squally child to sit still for a minute or more. The forehead ones are complete pants.

Also bear in mind for the in ear ones you need a different cover for each child and you need to clean them. We use a digital underarm one. Takes a minute but it is very accurate. Annoying beep though!

Bezagirl Thu 30-Oct-08 21:16:23

Hi Thanks for your replies
BigAxe which one did your friend buy you? I am now thinking about Braun.

BigAxeToChopOffYourThread Fri 31-Oct-08 09:31:00

We have a braun thermoscan. (i think) its very good. It came with a box of those plastic cap things to put over the end for each person. We have had it for 3 years and have not run out of caps and have not needed to change the batteries, despite ds's love of taking temperature's :-)i would recommend it, though i am biased, and haven't tried any others :-)

EachPeachPearMum Fri 31-Oct-08 09:34:59

We got the braun in-ear one after dd had so many ear infections.
By noticing the smaller changes in temp (not registering on a forehead thermometer)we have managed to catch 3 or 4 infections early, and save her a lot of pain!

SamJones Fri 31-Oct-08 12:16:15

FYI - while ds was in hospital recently I asked why the nurses were not using digital ear thermometers (at the time getting underarm readings was very difficult) - and was told that they are not licenced as accurate for children due to the anatomical differences - ear canal size etc. But then why does my GP use them?
I have to admit that with the one I had (Braun), I found it difficult to get consistent readings, so didn't replace it when it broke.
I trust my oral one much more, and luckily my dc are old enough to be sensible with that!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: