Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

When to worry about a cold

(4 Posts)
Vixie78 Wed 29-Oct-08 10:58:05

Hello
Just wondered if anyone could offer some advice. My 2 girls who are 3yrs and nearly 2 yrs both have really bad coughs. It sounds really chesty. They have been having cough medicine for about a week and calpol but it still seems the same no better at all. They are both miserable and seem tired.
My question is when to take them to the Doctors? If its just a cold it will pass but how do you know if it turns into an infection. I think every mum must have this thought at some point so I am asking for everyone like me. I think I am going to call the doctors later but will feel thick if its just a cold and I have wasted their time. So if there any signs I can look for that its more then a cold?
I am not normally so scatty about these things
Anyway, if you can offer some advice please do so.
Thanks

nickytwooootimes Wed 29-Oct-08 11:05:22

Temperature?
Lack of energy?
Coughing up greenish gunk?

Personally, I'd take them.

rebelmum1 Wed 29-Oct-08 11:11:21

worth looking at if not clearing up, but can take up to 3 weeks for a cough to go. The think to look for is if the cough is productive, is mucus coming up? That is good if it is. A temp is a sign that there is an infection. calpol wont do anything for a cough at all, you're better off with some manuka honey and lemon. I'd give them fish oil to help build natural defences too.

rebelmum1 Wed 29-Oct-08 11:12:35

I don't think you should hang about with respititory illnesses, you need to get their chests listened too and make sure it doesn't get worse.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: