Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

coughing at night!!

(8 Posts)
lisad123 Wed 29-Oct-08 08:46:08

My DD2 is 13months now and heating has gone on. I have noticed that she is fine all night until the heating clicks on at 5.30am. Then she coughs loads and wakes herself up. COuld this just be dry mouth thing or is it a sign of asama? (spelling) tia

Elibean Wed 29-Oct-08 10:34:32

Not a diagnosis, but have you tried a humidifier in her room, or even a big bowl of water by the radiator?

Could also be slight house-dust allergy (though maybe too young for that, I don't know) because I always get a nasal drip at the back of my throat when the heating goes on at this time of year.

I would think a night time asthma cough wouldn't necessarily coincide with heating going on - more likely to be earlier on in the night, if dd is anything to go by.

lisad123 Wed 29-Oct-08 10:38:56

i have a tray thing hanging on rads, windows open slightly. hmm any way to stop the cough, im shattered

Elibean Wed 29-Oct-08 10:50:45

Turn her radiator off? Is that an option?

On cold nights, I close dd's window and turn the rad off.

But tbh, I've found the humidifier is an absolute godsend.

bubblagirl Wed 29-Oct-08 11:03:57

yes keep window slightly open and i have a bowl of water on shelf above radiator

this used to happen to my ds all the time but keep room ventilated and should be ok

lisad123 Wed 29-Oct-08 11:44:56

cant turn rad off, it get too cold.

lisad123 Fri 31-Oct-08 17:16:30

Been to GP, he said no chest infection but her lungs sound wheezy and her chest is tight. Has given us a blue inhaler to use and a spacer. He said she is too young to diagnose ashma, so will have to see how it goes.
Have tried to use it but DD really doesnt like it

twinsnikki Mon 03-Nov-08 20:08:41

Hiya Lisa,

I had a similiar thing with my twins. They always coughed at night and more so when the heating was on.

We did buy an humidifier from healthy house, british allergy association and this did help and still does.

However, the coughing progressed to first thing in the morning.

I asked to be referred to a paed, which the doctor did. First thing they did was put them on a light dose of a brown inhaler and like a miracle the coughs vanished. They explained to us that they were astmatic but we had tests and it appears to be seasonal.

They were always getting chest infections and croup and we found since the meds, this has not been anything like it used to be. Their coughing started around the age of 2.

I always found that tonsillitis had a lot to play with the coughing too.

They can give a non steriod medication to children (just for info), it doesn't have to be a puffer, but the hospital have to prescribe it.

If you are still concerned ask to be referred to a paed.

Nic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now