Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please advice, getting really worried about thin child with stomach complaints

(2 Posts)
MrsSnape Tue 28-Oct-08 16:57:39

My 7 year old son is extremely skinny. There is no fat on him at all, just skin, bone and a bit of muscle. He's so thin that no trousers fit him unless they have one of those adjustable waists and he can still get into age 2-3 pants (but he is the normal height for a 7 year old).

His chest bone sticks RIGHT out so you can not only feel it, but actually see it.

Nurse has said he IS underweight but not to a worrying level (he weighs 3 stone).

BUT he is also having a lot of stomach complaints. He constantly says he has a stitch towards the side of his stomach (alternate sides) and he often has diarheah ... but he eats like a horse.

Is it anything to worry about or should I get it looked into? he's VERY lively so it doesn't seem to be affecting his health (other than these stitches).

CombustiblePumpkin Tue 28-Oct-08 17:09:25

Is he worse after certain foods? The weight thing wouldn't bother me too much as you've said he is active etc- I could only wear dungarees as a child as I had no hips, but god I've found them now! The loose stools and 'stitch' pains as a constant thing doesn't sound good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now