Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

A quick high temp question?

(23 Posts)
alibobins Mon 27-Oct-08 21:35:41

Ds has got quite a high temperature it 39.6 he had calpol at 4.30 nurofen at 6.00 and calpol at 8.45 his temp is still high at 39.2 when can I next give him nurofen.
He's asllep in just pants and vest but is shivering non stopsad

spicemonster Mon 27-Oct-08 21:38:07

At 10pm. Has his fever not come down at all after the meds though?

Spero Mon 27-Oct-08 21:38:40

how old is he? when he is awake does he know who you are, is he responsive? Is he showing any symptoms of anything serious like meningitus?

I think you should ring the NHS health line and talk thru his symptoms, they were very good with me a few weeks ago. that is a pretty high temperature.

twentynine Mon 27-Oct-08 21:39:03

Call the doctor - that sort of high temp can lead to febrile fits. But midnight for the neurofen. He really needs to be seen though if his temp is that high.

Sawyer64 Mon 27-Oct-08 21:41:02

Shouldn't let him shiver as it will be making his temp go higher.Cover him with a sheet or something.

Shivering is the body's way of generating heat.

PhantomOfTheChocolateCakeAvena Mon 27-Oct-08 21:41:29

The nurofen works alot faster than paracetamol, it should have kicked in within an hour. That's a very high fever and I would be tempted to contact NHS direct. If you have a fan then use this, also a damp flannel wipe down will help. I would do them at 2 hourly intervals so there's 4 hours between doses of paracetamol and 4 hours between doses of ibuprofen. It sounds like he needs a doctor though.

Sawyer64 Mon 27-Oct-08 21:42:29

How are you taking his temp? Not one of those forehead things I hope?

alibobins Mon 27-Oct-08 21:44:06

No other symptoms it came on quite quick sad his temp went down slightly between first lot of calpol and nurofen,
Last month he was admitted to hospital with a high temp which turned out to be tonsilitis so was wondering if this was going the same way.

pookybear Mon 27-Oct-08 21:44:49

Have you looked on net doctor? How old is the child? Any other symptoms, sorry cant say as I dont want to give you wrong advice. hope he/she soon recovers

PhantomOfTheChocolateCakeAvena Mon 27-Oct-08 21:47:01

I really would call if there's no other symptoms, they admit children into hospital with a fever of unknown origin because their condition can get serious very quickly (they do where I used to work anyway). It could be a virus but you need a medic to check him over and diagnose this.

Give NHS direct a call, that fever's too high to leave.

alibobins Mon 27-Oct-08 21:47:41

He's 3.10. I looked on nhs direct website and it just says self care and if no improvement in 2-3 days then call gp.
Going to phone gp for an appointment tomorrow.
I've been taking his temp with a digital ear thermometer.

Sawyer64 Mon 27-Oct-08 21:49:27

My DD1 had Tonsillitis and her temp went to 41.IME if they have had a high temp before and not fitted its unlikely that they will fit.It just seems that some children are prone to fitting if their Temp raises even just a little.

Despite the controversy,I always have given for very high temps only, the Nurofen and Calpol together.Even the paediatric nurses gave it this way when DD1 had Pneumonia in January.The Calpol didn't do much especially on its own, but together it stabilised the Temps.

alibobins Mon 27-Oct-08 21:52:04

Just checked his temp ands its gone up to 40.2.sad
I'm taking him to a&e.
Thanks for advice.

PavlovtheWitchesCat Mon 27-Oct-08 21:53:02

Cover him with a light towel. Get him checked.

BUT don't panic. It is almost always an infection of some kind that is easily treatable. It is just better to get him checked, for advice for you, and some checking out.

When we were in USA DD has a high temp of 40.2. Luckily no febrile convulsions but I was SOOOOO scared. It turned out she had an ear infection which as soon as noted, was treated immediately, and got some advice on how to reduce fever (paracetamol - keeps fever low, ibruprofen - fever reducer. I beleive, don't quote me).

YOU know your little one best. If you are not used to this kind of temp, seek advice. It will help keep you calm and they really do not mind.

PhantomOfTheChocolateCakeAvena Mon 27-Oct-08 21:53:09

sad I hope he's OK. Let us know when you get back. We'll be thinking of you. smile

PavlovtheWitchesCat Mon 27-Oct-08 21:55:16

Alibobins - x-posted - I hope he is ok. Good luck at A&E

Spero Mon 27-Oct-08 22:01:16

I hope everything is ok. I think you've done the right thing - NHS direct told me if it got to 40 and I couldn't get it down, go to hospital.

PavlovtheWitchesCat Tue 28-Oct-08 15:05:10

Alibobins - how is your LO today? Hope he is better and you got some positive support from A&E.

alibobins Tue 28-Oct-08 15:40:40

Ds is still in sad his Grandma is with him whilst I shower and change.
A&E was really busy and it was nearly an hour till we saw a doctor who admitted ds straight away.
They just waiting for some more blood results but hopefully we will be home tomorrow.
Ds temp is still touching 40 last night it went up to 41.7shock
Pead Doctor is sure its tonsilitis again as tonsils are red this morning he say's just waiting for the yellow spotssad he started him on penicillin v 4 times a day [it tastes vile]
Ds is quite sleepy but drinking fine.
Thanks for last night and sorry for the long message,

PavlovtheWitchesCat Tue 28-Oct-08 16:17:43

Alibobins - I am sorry he has had to stay in, but hopefully they have got the cause of it and the penicillin will start working quickly.

I hope he gets better and comes home really soon.

x

PhantomOfTheChocolateCakeAvena Tue 28-Oct-08 22:12:51

He must have been feeling really rotten. He'll soon be on the mend and drivig you up the wall. smile

alibobins Wed 29-Oct-08 15:35:52

Good news we are home test confirmed ds has got tonsillitis his tonsils were covered in pus this morning.
He's still quite poorly he has been sick twice todaysad but temp is more stable it staying around 38.7.
Hopital said to carry on with calpol and to give nurofen if needed.
I'm so glad we home its just so noisy on the ward and ds was on hourly obs so felt like I got no sleep at all.
Thanks again smile

PhantomOfTheChocolateCakeAvena Wed 29-Oct-08 17:49:56

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now