Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

do babies get piles?

(6 Posts)
TheBightyMoosh Sat 25-Oct-08 17:57:59

I was just changing my 9 month old DD's nappy, and I noticed a small red lump on her anus - it looked a bit like piles to me, but didn't think babies got piles. I think she's had a bit of constipation in the last week as she has been straining to poo at times - I've started giving her prunes and more water to overcome this, but could the constipation cause piles?

Any thoughts?

bubblagirl Sat 25-Oct-08 21:19:10

my ds has one from too much straining he was a baby when his first appeared and he is 3 now and still appears if constipated

TheBightyMoosh Mon 27-Oct-08 17:00:08

Did you ever see the GP / HV about it? If so, what did they say?

Thanks.

hotpotmama Tue 28-Oct-08 22:23:55

Please go to the doctor if it is still there. My Ds had this when he was 12 weeks old and it turned out to be an abscess. He needed antibiotics to clear it.

The first doctor I saw didn't pick up that it was an abscess (was a young doctor), it was only when I went back the next day as I wasn't happy and asked to be referred that another doctor thought it was an abscess. I wouldn't have asked for the referral but DS had been in hospital at 4 weeks so am always paranoid about him now and prefer a paedriatric doctor to check him out.

TheBightyMoosh Wed 29-Oct-08 09:14:01

Thanks so much - got a appt with my gp this morning as it's still there, and not showing any signs of going down.

Your poor ds - and poor you - that must have been worrying for you, but good for you for being persistent!

hotpotmama Wed 29-Oct-08 20:47:22

Hope it wasn't an abscess, theBM. After a few bad experiences with GP's, I trust my instinct now a lot more when it comes to my children being poorly.

Had contact with an on-call doctor the night before DS3 was admitted thru A and E. He told me 3 times there was nothing much wrong with him,was colic etc, I knew there was something wrong, went to A and E and he was being treated for suspected meningitis within minutes and ended up in hospital for 10 nights. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now