Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My 1 year old has just spectacularly thrown up - seems otherwise fine

(19 Posts)
MurderousMarla Sat 25-Oct-08 16:07:01

What would cause this?

He ate lunch at about 1.30, has been very very sick about twenty minutes ago, and seems extremely happy right now.

Should I give him dinner later as normal? Should I keep him home on Monday, regardless of whether or not he is sick again?

The only time he has vomited like this before, he was quite poorly with a bad cold anyway and I think that was brought on by excessive coughing but this time round... I've no idea.

twentynine Sat 25-Oct-08 16:09:09

Yep. He'll be fine. He's probably eaten something he's found on the floor from a few days ago.

If he's keeping food down and has wet nappies, he's fine. Even if he's vomiting, so long as he's still weeing, just lay off the food for about six hours and then try again, if he's asking for food mostly likely, he's fine.

They can do some prodigious vomits can't they - DD managed to completely coat me once at that age, head to foot! hmm

MurderousMarla Sat 25-Oct-08 16:28:22

Well, he's just thrown up again after a BFeed.

What now?

The floors are clean, twentynine, otherwise I'd agree!

His lunch was poached salmon, pasta, peas, and sweetcorn. He ate well, not too much, not too fast. He enjoyed it. He refused a bit of cake afterwards (it was his birthday yesterday).

Jbck Sat 25-Oct-08 16:37:54

DD2 (11mths) like this first thing this morning with bottle then again after her porridge. She's been having very weak formula as she's obviously hungry to see if it stays down since late lunchtime but was shouting at me so much during my sandwich I had to give her some as I felt so bad. So far so good.

She probably did eat something off the floor, if it's not swept up seconds after it falls under thr highchair it's in her mouth.

Maybe something going round or could just have been something that upset their tums at the time.

Earthymama Sat 25-Oct-08 16:47:19

There's a tummy bug here that causes projectile vomiting at the moment.

Babies seem to be ok pretty soon but adults (including moi)take longer to recover.

I've just been having warm drinks and some veggie broth that DP made for me smile

MurderousMarla Sat 25-Oct-08 16:58:42

Your poor DD. Jbck. I don't know what to do now really, give food, milk, neither?

Sorry you're poorly Earthy. Sounds like your DP is looking after you

MurderousMarla Sat 25-Oct-08 17:32:20

... and that makes a third time.

At what point should I be worried?

lottiejenkins Sat 25-Oct-08 17:46:17

Why dont you phone NHS Direct and ask for some advice...........

bubblagirl Sat 25-Oct-08 18:02:34

dont give milk now or any heavy food give dry toast and ater and keep food to minimum and just keep fluids going in but only sips other wise will cause tummy to reject it again

if no sickness for 24 hrs then will be fine to go anywhere

my ds was like this the other day lasted 2 days but def no milkor solids just something light and ice pops atre great way of getting fulids in slowly

hope he feels better soon x oh and i was advised if giving calpol do small amounts at a time from syringe so you know whats gone in and stayed down then cant over do it

twentynine Sat 25-Oct-08 18:28:23

Try not to panic. You need now to remove all solids and just give breastmilk till tomorrow. Breastmilk or water is all his tummy needs, it obviously can't handle any more at the moment. Don't worry, DD had bugs like this a couple of times and it did her no lasting harm. So long as he shows no signs of dehydration you don't have to worry.

Didn't mean to insinuate you had dirty floors btw - but tots do have a habit of hiding food in odd places.

MurderousMarla Sat 25-Oct-08 18:31:33

Lottie I did, they say keep him home and keep a close eye - but very vague.

He's been sick a fourth time but it was mostly water. He is now having a bath. I'm concerned about BFing him again - as I usually do after his bath - in case it just makes him worse. How long after vomiting before giving milk - NHS has no advice for me.

MurderousMarla Sat 25-Oct-08 18:34:29

Oops I didn't refresh.

Thanks bubblagirl, he has taken a bit of water from a doidy cup, when we give milk in a cup he does tend to gulp it down in seconds, bit slower with the doidy.

twentynine that's why I BFed (am half-heartedly beginning weaning) - I'd read it's great when they're ill as they keep it down but he obviously had other ideas!

So formula in a cup or try to BF again, or give water and see if DP can get him to sleep?

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sat 25-Oct-08 18:54:24

Bf him definitely. It's easier to keep down so he'd probably be more likely to vom up water or formula. Plus bm is really easy to digest so he's more likely to keep a bit down, even if he is sick. He probably needs the comfort as well. Hope he's better soon.

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sat 25-Oct-08 18:58:03

Bm is different to formula or cows milk, you don't have to avoid it when he's vomiting.

MurderousMarla Sat 25-Oct-08 19:12:47

I BFed him, he fell asleep, then he was sick hopefully he has kept some down like you say CharChar...

change of pyjamas and DP will cuddle him to sleep

Sorry for TMI but at least this time it was just liquid [grim - yes, grim, not a typo of grin!]

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sat 25-Oct-08 19:31:51

If he's eaten nothing it will be liquid, so I wouldn't worry. BF as much as he wants even if he sicks it back up because it'll have antibodies in to help him get better. Poor baby and poor you, hope he's better tomorrow.

MurderousMarla Sat 25-Oct-08 20:02:29

Thanks CharChar, I'll arm myself with a bunch of towels for the inevitable night-feeds! He is asleep, has been for 30 minutes or so... good start. I am exhausted already!

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sat 25-Oct-08 20:44:52

Awww bless him. Hope he sleeps for a while longer yet.

Jbck Sun 26-Oct-08 15:25:33

MM sorry I wasn't back on PC at all yesterday. DD2 is much better today she actually had some tea last night as we were at a family do. Just had some cucumber & dry bread but it all stayed down & tbh she seemed as right as rain. she's ff so I just gave her a couple of bottles of very weak formula to make sure she was getting fluids, I wouldn't do it long term but okay for a short while (24/48 hours) when they are poorly. My HV advised this with DD1 when she had upset tums and it sometimes worked sometimes didn't. It all stayed down yesterday & today I gave her normal formula albeit a little later than normal and she was fine, had a slice of toast with a scraping of jam on. I couldn't eat dry toast even with juice so it must be awful when you're teeny.
Hope your little one is better today, it's horrible when they are miserable. He'll probably be right as rain when you're still doing the washing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now