Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD 11mo having an operation under general next week - what to expect?

(8 Posts)
wonderstuff Fri 24-Oct-08 14:43:49

DD is having an operation to remove 'extra fingers' more like large skin tags but with nail bed! Anyway, early operation is scheduled so we won't need to stay over (yay) but we have planned to go to a wedding the next day and dd was to stay with my mum, will she be very out of sorts from the GA the next day? Should I cancel plans to go to the wedding? Also what would be good to take to the hospital?? Thanks

dinny Fri 24-Oct-08 14:46:45

ds haa a GA at 12 months and the hardest thing was no food/milk (esp breastfeeding)

the ward has loads of toys which did help distract him

he was very distressed when he woke, I have to say - we had to stay in, so bit of a different situation to you....personally I couldn't have left hi th next day BUT it was emergency not a routine op

good luck!!

wonderstuff Fri 24-Oct-08 14:52:07

Thanks dinny, they have said no food after 11pm and she is due in at 7.30am so I'm hoping it shouldn't be too bad? Still bfing though and she is a frequent night nurser. sad

mosschops30 Fri 24-Oct-08 14:58:01

Good luck wonderstuff. I spent my management placement in theatres and your dd will be well looked after by all concerned.

A lot of children are tearful, disorientated and clingy when they wake from GA.

Personally I wouldnt leave my child the following day but she's your dd and its your decision

Elk Fri 24-Oct-08 15:08:03

My dd1 was older when she had day surgery. She was three when she had operations on both eyes to try to correct her squint. We went in at 8 am and were out by 2pm. By three pm she was doing forward rolls off a friends sofa!!!

She was very upset when she started to come round from the anasthetic (cried for about 30 mins)but was fine after that.

I gave her all the pain relief I could for the next few days but she was fine.

Blu Fri 24-Oct-08 15:42:37

DS has had 7 GAs now - and the one he had when he was about the same age as your dd was for 5 hours. He bounced back fom the GA very quickly indeed. I honestly would have no qualms at all about leaving her with your Mum the following day on account of the GA. DS went to school in the afternoon the day after his last GA.

The only issue may be if she is in pain fom the op. But you can give her nurofen and paracetamol alternately to control the pain - and having watched countless small toddlers recover fom ops in the times we have been I hospital, they seem to be very undeterred by bandages, casts - and things that would have an adult writing in pain and off work for weeks with!

I would plan to go to the wedding with the cntingency to stay at home if she is very uncomfortable / disturbed by having dressings on her hands.

Take to hospital: drinks and snacks that she would like when she comes round - light and easily digestible - she will be hungry and thirsty. Something for you to eat when she isn't looking! Wipes. Nappies. (they don't expect to supply all that) Favourite cuddly, small toy. There is v little space in day surgery units.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Fri 24-Oct-08 16:08:21

Wonderstuff - check on the food rules because they usually allow you to bf a little while after the 'no food' deadline.

My dd has had several GAs (all 3 of the children have had them) but she reacts the worst of them. ds1 seems to suffer no ill effects at all - eyes open, a drink, food and he's away, dd on the other hand gets very nauseous and hence dehydrated. There's no hard and fast rule. If she's up and about pretty quickly afterwards and her pain is under control I can't see a problem with her being looked after by your mum.

Agree with Elk about giving all the pain relief you can for a few days even if she doesn't seem to need it.

Don't forget to look after yourself whilst she's in, take some drinks and snacks as you might not be able to get away, something to read or a puzzle book as the waiting around is a pain.

Good luck smile

wonderstuff Fri 24-Oct-08 16:19:48

Thanks guys, feeling much better about it all now! Good idea about stuff for me, didn't think about that at all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now