Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone know anything about an underactive thyroid in a 9yr old

(5 Posts)
cikecaka Thu 23-Oct-08 21:46:59

My DD has had blood tests done today to see if she is suffering from this. She has been attending the gp since the 27th of dec last year and he finally referred us to the hospital. She has put on so much weight, very dry skin, feeling cold etc.

Just want to know what medication etc is involved in the treatment of this.

FruitynNutty Thu 23-Oct-08 21:50:40

I have an underactive thyroid and take Tyroxine. I'm currently on 150mg. This was increased very slowly. It's trial and error really. I think I remember starting off on about 50mg. It may be less for your DD though. I wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult.
It's no trouble at all.

cikecaka Thu 23-Oct-08 21:53:29

Were your symptoms the same as hers. I am just so fed up that the doc didnt take blood tests back in december so that she could be back in better health by now

FruitynNutty Fri 24-Oct-08 18:42:51

Yes exactly the same. Although it was originally diagnosed because of my very rare periods. I then spoke to the GP who asked me if I was also feeling cold and had dry skin and I did have.
Also I put on a huge amount of weight as a teenager but I did eat a lot so I don't know how much was due to my thyroid. I'm normal weight now - well normally (I'm pregnant at the moment).
I didn't feel unhealthy, just felt the cold more and put weight on easily. I still get very dry skin, especially in the winter.
It was my weight which really came down. Since being diagnosed I have been relatively slim.

Just give it time for the correct dosage to be decided and your DD will be fine smile

Dozymare Sun 26-Oct-08 08:28:24

I also suffer from an underactive thyroid and for 3 years was borderline so not prescribed medication...I was constantly tired, put on 3 stone, dry hair that fell out and was cold and very very grumpy. After having DS1 I went into underactivge and was prescribed 150mg of thyroxine. Am PG with DC3 and will have to take this for the rest of my life. I don 't know the implications of childhood thyroid issues as I was also an adult when diagnoised.

Once your daughter is on treatment at the right level she will be a different person.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now