Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cranial osteopathy

(8 Posts)
Twixabix Thu 23-Oct-08 10:50:13

Does anyone have any positive / negative results from cranial oseopathy. My sister is having a really hard time with her little boy who is 4 months old and is thinking of trying this.

He has always been a baby that cries alot. She has been told from the health visitor that it has been colic and reflux but my sister has tried everything to relieve these and nothing is working.

Thanks

tokentotty Thu 23-Oct-08 10:54:14

Morning,

My son had cranial osteopathy at a very young age as he seemed to be uncomfortable a lot of the time and suffering from trapped wind or other stomach pains. I found it worked well and definitely noticed a difference. He's now 14 months and we're going again as he's got problems with constipation. She seems to feel that his system is sluggish and there's tightness in his pelvic area which may well not be helping the problem and again, I've seen some improvement. I think it's also very beneficial when they're teething.

All in all, I would definitely recommend it. HTH

Twixabix Thu 23-Oct-08 10:58:45

thanks tokentotty, i've had a look into it for her and it mostly seems to have positive results. She really is at her qits end and he has got a really sore scream that sounds as though he is in a lot of pain. He has been refered to a pead but not had any appointment through yet. Health visitor is being crap and telling my sister that she is doing everything wrong (hence a day full of tear yesterday)
She has got an appointment at the oseopath today so will see how it goes.
Thanks

Peachy Thu 23-Oct-08 11:02:03

We're having it with ds4 atm, not sleeping/ colicky pain/ severe separation anxiety; he's 6 months.

After one session he dropped from 6 feeds per night to 2- he also started self feeding as the OSteo pointed out he had limited movement in his arms (I think she was rght) and corrected it, the next day he picked up finger food for te first tme

After 2 he's free of the colic too
Would recommend

It sounds like a reflux? could be silent- osteo may help with that

Twixabix Thu 23-Oct-08 11:10:06

Hi peachy. He's been on gaviscon for reflux too. You ds sounds just like my nephew. He is only sleeps 2 hrs solid in the night and wakes screaming with very coliky/stomach pains. He doesn't seem to keep much down either. HV suggested he goes onto solids but he still brings that up too. I hope osteo can help as she is at her wits end.
Thanks

likessleep Thu 23-Oct-08 23:01:12

My DS had reflux and Gaviscon helped with the sickness, but he still screamed in pain.
He then started on Ranitidine and stopped crying on 2nd day of taking.
There are meds out there and whilst reflux is a natural maturation process, if your sister feels he's in pain, there may be meds to help counterbalance the acid.
We did osteo too (tbh, we tried everything!), which helped, but ultimately the meds stopped the acid for my DS and he was so much happier afterwards.

SweetApril Sat 25-Oct-08 15:11:58

I say go for it on the basis of nothing to lose (well, apart from money hmm) and everything to gain. I know several people who've had very positive results with cranial osteopathy (not for reflux but mostly for digestive stuff) including someone who was a total sceptic. Reflux is miserable so anything that might help is worth a try. Sorry to hear about the mean HV. I had one of those and was also left in tears - as if that's what you need when you've got a poorly LO.

hotpotmama Sat 25-Oct-08 15:15:37

I would definitely give it a go. 2 of my boys had it for colic and it was amazing the difference in them. They can help lots of different problems. Where is she based? Know an excellent one in Leeds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now