Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS saying his eyes hurt - any ideas?

(5 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Mon 20-Oct-08 16:52:08

DS has just woken from his nap crying and saying his eyes hurt. He was fine this morning but seems inconsolable this afternoon, and keeps rubbing his eyes. I was wondering if he just had something in his eye but can't see anything (well he won't let me look!). Will take him to the doctor tomorrow if he still doesn't seem right, but just wondered if anyone had any ideas what might make his eyes hurt?

mummyineedyounow Mon 20-Oct-08 19:45:03

DD often says this when she has conjunctivitus. From my experience is it virtually impossible to get eye drops in a child. I normally ask for a gel type drop which I put in when DD is asleep!

theSuburbanDryad Mon 20-Oct-08 19:46:33

Try bathing is eyes in warm, boiled water if he'll let you.

Has he been complaining of any headaches at all recently?

tigermoth Mon 20-Oct-08 19:48:48

It's a long shot but it could be measles. I had it as a child and it affected my eyes a lot - made them very sensitive to light. That's the thing I most remember about the week I was sick. It was only temporary, but not at all nice at the time.

iwouldgoouttonight Tue 21-Oct-08 10:10:22

Thanks - I didn't get a chance to use the computer again last night. He went to sleep fine, but this morning his excema has flared up all around his left eye, so maybe that's what was bothering him yesterday - looks like he's scratched it a lot in the night. He says his eye no longer hurts and the excema doesn't seem to be upsetting him today so will see how it goes. We already have cream from the doctor to use on his face so have put some of that on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: