Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can three yr olds have new teeth coming through?

(6 Posts)
mistersmum Sun 19-Oct-08 20:32:59

My 3 and a half yo has been putting his thumb and index finger in his mouth, right to the back and chewing on them for a couple of weeks now, and just thought it was his equivalent of thumb sucking. But I actually bothered to look in his mouth properly (I do each night for teeth brushing but I don't have a proper furtle around!!) and it looks like he has two teeth coming up on his lower jaws ie they look whiter rather than pink. Nothing has erupted. He has been to the dentist with me the last two times, and has all of the teeth you would expect for this age.
I just wondered if anyone else has had this, or if it is anything elase. HAviing had a search on the internet it says the next teeth come up at 6!
Thanks in advance

2manychips Sun 19-Oct-08 20:39:13

How many teeth does he have? they have 20 baby teeth in total.First adult molars errupt around 6.

loler Sun 19-Oct-08 20:44:49

My ds had some at the back come through when he was 3.5. I was suprised but dentist said completely normal and they were late milk teeth rather than early adult teeth

mistersmum Sun 19-Oct-08 21:01:54

He has got 20 - I'll just wait and see what happens.
Loler - dis your ds have her full set when the others came through at 3.5?

mistersmum Mon 20-Oct-08 12:36:30

My hubbie spoke to his dentist this am - apparently it is quite noirmal for these teeth to come through and they are the adult teeth so he won't loose them. Just thought you might like to know!!

ComeOVeneer Mon 20-Oct-08 12:38:46

It is very unusual for adult teeth to be coming through at this age. The first adult molars come through behind the baby teeth at around 6yrs old. 3.5 is very very young.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now