Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD crying her ear hurts. What can I do for her?

(17 Posts)
imnotmamagbutshelovesme Sun 19-Oct-08 19:13:52

She has had Calpol but is still crying. I can't see anything untoward on the outside. She is 5.

kormAaaarrrggghhhchameleon Sun 19-Oct-08 19:15:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

myermay Sun 19-Oct-08 19:16:48

calpol and nurofen together

BBBee Sun 19-Oct-08 19:16:51

mine get ear infections and I find that lying with the ear on a hot water bottle can ease it. You could also give nurofen.

It is horrible and they do cry. Hope you can get her to docs tomorrow.

imnotmamagbutshelovesme Sun 19-Oct-08 19:17:05

Thanks

DH gone up to see to her.

Don't think we have any Nurofen and I wouldn't like to give her too much medicine.

Never had ear ache in this house before.

FiendishFairyFay Sun 19-Oct-08 19:20:41

When I was at school I used to get ear ache caused by too much wax. The school nurse used to warm olive oil slightly, pour it into my ear and then put some cotton wool in - then I slept like that. It seemed a bit strange but did work.

imnotmamagbutshelovesme Sun 19-Oct-08 19:23:16

Going to try the olive oil now, thanks.

LynetteScavo Sun 19-Oct-08 19:27:51

Twice of times DS2 has suddenly had really bad ear ache, just before his ear drum burst. Both times there were no warning signs such as a cold or anything, he just suddenly sarted screaming.

Hope she's OK soon. smile

imnotmamagbutshelovesme Sun 19-Oct-08 19:29:13

Oh crap.

What do we do if her ear drum bursts and will we know?

Blu Sun 19-Oct-08 19:32:03

If it is earache, please don't hold off on the calpol and nurofen, taken alternatively.

DS has been on it every day for 4 months now (for something serious) and all the hospital consultants we have spoken to have no worries about that at all.

Earache is excruciating.

If it is earache it may help to keep her as upright as poss - lots and lots of pillows.

imnotmamagbutshelovesme Sun 19-Oct-08 19:33:11

Will look to see if we do have Nurofen.

She is quiet now so hopefully the Calpol has kicked in.

Blu Sun 19-Oct-08 19:33:45

Yes, you will know because pus will come outof her ear. But a perforated eardrum heals v fast. If it IS an abcess, the pain will stop if the drum perforates, anyway.

Has she got a temperature, at all?

imnotmamagbutshelovesme Sun 19-Oct-08 19:38:18

Just taken her temp and it is 36.5

imnotmamagbutshelovesme Sun 19-Oct-08 19:44:14

Been up to see her and she says it hurts inside and it has been hurting since she banged it on the kitchen wall.

BBBee Sun 19-Oct-08 22:03:03

if the ear drum bursts the pain goes as the pain is the pressure behind the ear drum. Don;t worry - they grow back - mine burst loads. When it happened to ds i knew as it stopped hurting right away.

Best thing for him was distraction - lots of lion the witch and the wardrobe IIRC!

Poledra Sun 19-Oct-08 22:07:57

DD1 just had her first ear infection the other week. Heat helps, and we did the calpol and nurofen at 2-hourly intervals. One other thing, we were told to keep the ear dry while she has the infection. OK, I know it seems silly now, but just incase you were thinking of giving her a bath or shower tomorrow blush

FossilSister Sun 19-Oct-08 22:10:41

Ibuprofen and paracetamol can be taken together- obviously don't exceed the doses. Earache's like toothache and hurts a lot. Don't lie on side as pressure on the ear hurts. Take her to docs for exam and antibiotics in morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now