Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DTD2 shallow breathing, listless, off food - visit to urgent care centre?

(18 Posts)
duckyfuzz Sat 18-Oct-08 13:27:46

She has an inhaler so its not an unusual occurrence, but has come on very quickly since picking her up from school yesterday. She has been drinking but hasn't eaten since lunchtime yesterday. I would take her to doc's if it was a week day, but as its sat it would mean urgent care centre and I'm not sure she needs that, any thoughts?

LuLuMacGloo Sat 18-Oct-08 13:30:49

Arg - why do these things always happen on a saturday? Could you ring NHS Direct/24 and see what they reckon?

duckyfuzz Sat 18-Oct-08 13:32:35

I know - last time she was like this it was a weekend too! The only bonus is its got me out of a day at the PILs! Will try NHS direct, but usually find them quite useless

deanychip Sat 18-Oct-08 13:34:54

Take her to urgent care, get them to listen to her chest, what if she is brewing a chest infection.

Its how quickly it has come on that concerns me, if i were you, i would go to urgent care.

luvaduck Sat 18-Oct-08 13:36:01

yep go - that what they are there for

is she sucking her chest in as she breathes?

take her

deanychip Sat 18-Oct-08 13:37:24

whats with all the ducks on this thread! grin

duckyfuzz Sat 18-Oct-08 13:38:54

we're all quackers

luvaduck Sat 18-Oct-08 13:39:02

lol i thought that too

now are you going to take her?

duckyfuzz Sat 18-Oct-08 13:42:13

am on phone to nhs - she's asleep

Majeika Sat 18-Oct-08 13:44:01

take her now - forget nhs direct

momov2 Sat 18-Oct-08 13:44:29

my daughter suffers with asthma and same as you she always seems to be bad on a wkend when the docs isnt open. if she's really bad i take her to AnE but if you think emergany care isnt nesersary try running the shower on hot for 15 minutes with the door closed so the bathroom gets all steamy and then go and sit in there with your daughter for 15 mins. the steam should help to open the airways a bit better it usually works for my daughter.

luvaduck Sat 18-Oct-08 13:51:14

take her

am a GP and if i spoke to you on phone and you told me what you've written here i would want to see her, and listen to her chest. you can't do these things over phone/internet. they really won't mind!

NHS direct often gives duff advice

ps how old is she?

duckyfuzz Sat 18-Oct-08 13:55:27

thanks all, I agree re. nhsdirect usually, but have just spoken to a nurse who seemed to know what she was on about - first time ever! I will let her sleep for now as she sounds ok and temp is ok too. I'll take her when she wakes up if no improvement. Shes 4.10 luvaduck

luvaduck Sat 18-Oct-08 14:00:33

ok
watch her breathing and if at all worried take her
she may need antib's or steroids on top of inhaler

good luck

duckyfuzz Sat 18-Oct-08 14:02:25

thanks, will let you know

luvaduck Sun 19-Oct-08 14:15:55

is she ok??

duckyfuzz Sun 19-Oct-08 14:23:25

hi luvaduck she's much perkier today thanks, I did take her to urgent care in the end, she has ABs for a slight chest infection, but today has requested strawberries and lemonade and eaten a roast dinner, so definitely on the mend! Thanks for your help

luvaduck Sun 19-Oct-08 20:56:39

good am glad!
good call by you
better safe than sorry eh
get well little duckyfuzz x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now