Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is there anything I can do for a 9 week old with a cold?

(13 Posts)
chequersandchess Fri 17-Oct-08 11:21:00

Are those nasal aspirators worth getting?

Don't want to use calpol because of the suspected asthma link (am asthmatic myself).

Thanks.

slim22 Fri 17-Oct-08 11:24:35

a drop of saline solution in each nostril then gently suction out.

a drop of olbas oil on a hanky near his bed.

a humidifier if you have one

feeding often ( to keep hydrated) and lots of cuddles

Sawyer64 Fri 17-Oct-08 11:25:49

Yes sometimes they help. You can also get Saline drops which help "clear" their nose.

Don't think you can use Vicks type thing to rub on their chests etc. but they do Sudofed plug ins that help,in the room,as a decongestant etc.

Tip the cot up ,on blocks(books maybe?)so that he/she is head up.

I used to splash a little decongestant inhalant,can't think of name at the moment..... on a hankie tied to cot,as well.

chequersandchess Fri 17-Oct-08 11:26:29

thanks slim, do you know where i can get saline solution? what do i suction it out with, an aspirator?

cookinmama Fri 17-Oct-08 11:26:51

My DD had a cold for the vast majority of her first 12 weeks I did buy one of the nasal aspirators but felt like I was hurting her everytime I tried. I eventually got something called nasosal, it's basically saline water that you put a couple of drops in thier nose and it helps to clear them. I also raised the head end of the crib as she seemed to breathe better when not being flat. The other thing to try is a steam up the bathroom before thier bath and use a warm faceclothe to wipe down thier face - as the steam and warmth helps clear them a bit. Hope this helps, hope dc is better soon.

Sawyer64 Fri 17-Oct-08 11:26:53

Olbas Oil thats the stuff!

cupchar Fri 17-Oct-08 11:26:54

Nasal aspirators are really good

cookinmama Fri 17-Oct-08 11:27:43

x post - wish i could type faster. Tesco sell nasosal.

Sawyer64 Fri 17-Oct-08 11:27:54

Over the Counter at Boots or similar Chemist.

chequersandchess Fri 17-Oct-08 11:27:58

Thank you, can I get all this stuff in boots do you think?

Rubyrubyruby Fri 17-Oct-08 11:28:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sawyer64 Fri 17-Oct-08 11:29:18

Yes !!

chequersandchess Fri 17-Oct-08 11:30:15

x post sawyer, thanks.

Might try my local pharmacy first, want to avoid taking her into town if I can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now