Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cough - dd (9) has had a cough for over a month

(10 Posts)
Beetroot Thu 16-Oct-08 08:25:16

Hacking

doctor says it is not an infection and nothing can be done about it - it will go on it's own

BUT WHEN it keeps her and us awake at night, she gets sent out of class because of it.

Any remedies?

Beetroot Thu 16-Oct-08 08:32:42

Beetroot Thu 16-Oct-08 08:51:14

bellavita Thu 16-Oct-08 09:01:40

We have this with DS (11) touch wood not at the moment, but his can go on for 5/6 weeks.

The only thing we find that helps is the sudafed plug in thingy (plug it in about 45 mins before she goes to bed so it has time to start working).

I sometimes have to get in bed with him to keep him propped up as you just know that if he lays down, he will start again.

Hope it clears up soon.

misdee Thu 16-Oct-08 09:02:53

have they checked its not asthma?

some coughs takes ages to clear up.

am getting worried myself about dd3 who has developed a cough lately, especially at night. same age that dd2 developed asthma.

Beetroot Thu 16-Oct-08 09:11:42

The doctor has not siad it is asthma

a plug in might help.

she steams befroe bed as well

bellavita Thu 16-Oct-08 09:14:40

Boots do some gummy throat sweets (strawberry or blackcurrant flavour). These also helped if DS sucked on one, it just helped to keep the saliva going so the throat did not become dry and tickly.

Beetroot Thu 16-Oct-08 09:39:55

I willhave a look for thsoe too.

Never known a cough go on so long

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 17-Oct-08 10:50:29

Try some Covonia, pharmacist gave me this after DS had a cough that would not clear - breaks the phlegm and did work great.

barnet1 Fri 17-Oct-08 11:14:48

I use a homepathic cough medicine called Soother it works really well with my lo's cough and doesnt cause drowsiness you can buy it in any chemist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now