Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Impetigo - can a child be a carrier but not ever have had it?

(12 Posts)
BernieBear Tue 14-Oct-08 16:43:56

A family member has very bad impetigo and is convinced my ds (4) has given it to her. He has never had it and certainly does not have any signs of having it at the moment.

She still seems convinced that he is a "carrier". Does anyone know if this is possible? I am not at all convinced that he has passed it on, but she seems to think that as he has started school this year it is him.

Help, before this turns into a formal family feud!

(Also placed this in General Health)

whispywhisp Tue 14-Oct-08 17:25:58

Both my kids have had impetigo. I have never heard of someone being a carrier having never had it themselves.

pooka Tue 14-Oct-08 17:27:00

I've never heard of this either. DD and DS both had what the doc thinks was impetigo just after dd started school last year.

pooka Tue 14-Oct-08 17:27:30

Does the NHS website have more info? Or do a google search under impetigo/carrier?

whispywhisp Tue 14-Oct-08 17:28:31

My eldest DD got it first...she then passed it on to her younger sister. Yes it is highly contagious - you must use separate towels, face cloths etc but passing it on when you've not got it yourself? Bizarre.

pooka Tue 14-Oct-08 17:30:18

From a quick search, it does seem that there can be asymptomatic carriers of the bacteria. But why your relative would automatically assume that your ds is one, I'm not sure.

WigWamBam Tue 14-Oct-08 17:31:22

It is only contact with the open sores which passes impetigo on. Yes, it's very infectious - but you have to touch it to catch it.

More info

whispywhisp Tue 14-Oct-08 17:35:44

Is your relative simply 'presuming' he's a carrier just because he's recently started school? If so god help you if someone gets a cold, sickness bug, head lice etc etc...cos he'll get the blame for everything!!

BernieBear Tue 14-Oct-08 20:25:10

Thank you very much for your replies. I have found the whole thing somewhat suspicious (and very hurtful), certainly as she does work in close contact with the general public and could have caught it anywhere. We are "clean", wash hands regularly etc.as is anyone whether they have impetigo or not, but maybe not up to the sterile standard that she likes (bleach is at the top of the shopping list - if you know what I mean!)

Can't wait for the head lice .......grin

Thank you, you have made me feel .....well, less unclean (Bernie removes bell and stops wailing "unclean")

lisad123 Tue 14-Oct-08 21:50:45

My DD2 has had this twice in 3 weeks!
I saw GP yesterday and he explained that some people carry the virus in their noses, and thats why chidlren often get it around their faces.
I didnt know this, but might help someone

anyfucker Tue 14-Oct-08 21:56:05

yes, many of us carry the bacteria that causes impetigo in our noses etc

no-one knows why some people develop it and some don't. This is not the saem as being a "carrier"

it is common in schoolies because they spend a lot of time with their fingers up their nose and then touch their faces afterwards

perhaps you could point that little snippet out to your family!

ivykaty44 Tue 14-Oct-08 22:00:42

When my two dd's had a spate of this the gp did a nose swab to see whether they were carrying it up there nose - they did me aswell, even though I hadn't had it for years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now