Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS's pupils are a different size

(8 Posts)
MadameCheese Tue 14-Oct-08 15:05:20

Both react to light equally and sometimes are the same size (when he's lying I've noticed), it's always the left that is bigger than the right and they've been like this since I can remember. His head is flatter on the right side and wondered if this could be related. He is otherwise a very normal 6mo. (It also doesn't appear to relate to which eye is nearest a light source).

bundle Tue 14-Oct-08 15:09:51

I would take him to see an ophthalmologist, just to be on the safe side

MadameCheese Tue 14-Oct-08 16:14:09

Has anyone else experienced this? Hv said it was nothing to worry about and if he wasn't so bright I'd be more concerned

keevamum Tue 14-Oct-08 16:20:23

My DH has 2 different sized pupils. They are quite obviously different but apart from having to wear glasses now due to the amount of time spent in front of the computer screen he has no other visual problems. My eldest DD also has this but to a lesser degree and her eyesight is fine and she's bright as a button. So I wouldn't worry too much.

SubRosa Tue 14-Oct-08 22:36:18

DD has this, I think it's only a problem if there is a big difference, but get it checked anyway if you're worried.

sustainablysourcedwhitefish Tue 14-Oct-08 22:38:22

I believe it is called physiological antiscoria.

DS has it but he is a bit wonky generally.

He sees an opthalmologist, but this was for something else, has not been a problem for us.

MovinMovinMovin Tue 14-Oct-08 22:40:22

My pupils are different sizes, quite noticably, I always thought it was because I'd destroyed some brain cells by taking acid in my yoof, but dds are different too. I remember asking an optician about mine and they said that if they both react to light, then there's no problem

MadameCheese Tue 14-Oct-08 23:06:05

Thanks everyone! MMM (see what I did there?)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: