Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Could dd have broken her nose?

(4 Posts)
TequilaMockinBird Sun 12-Oct-08 21:51:09

DD (10) has returned tonight from a weekend away at an activity centre with the church group she is a member of.

Whilst on the trip, she fell over a ledge-type thing apparently and ended up flat on her face.

She has a couple of cuts to her top lip but I'm a bit concerned about her nose. The bridge part is quite swollen and is bruised. The bruising also stretches into the corners of her eyes. The rest of her nose isnt swollen at all, only the top part near her eyes.

She says its sore and it's obviously tender to the touch as she has a cold but wont blow or wipe her nose.

Could it be broken? Would there be a bit of bone sticking out or anything? It doesnt look crooked from what I can see but it is swollen. Not sure whether to take her to A&E in the morning or not

MrsJamesMartin Sun 12-Oct-08 21:53:23

If you bang your nose hard enough you do end up with brusing going up to the eyes, even full black eyes.
If her nose look straight and she can breathe normally throgh both nostrils then leave it, A+E won't do anything about it. Ice packs and ibuprofen can help.

TequilaMockinBird Sun 12-Oct-08 22:00:20

Thanks MJM, will do that

seeker Sun 12-Oct-08 22:06:06

My ds crashed into a wall on his bike in the summer. His nose was the most dramatic injury - swollen and bruised and two black eyes, but a and e didn't even glance at it - concentrating on other bits of him. I kept saying "What about his nose?" and they kept saying "Oh, that's fine - it'll be fine in a couple of days" And it was. I wouldn't worry, honestly, so long s it 's straight. Even if it was broken there's nothing that they can do - it'll get better by itself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now