Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Quick - help! 9 yr old DD has bitten into something and now has v wobbly canine

(12 Posts)
screaminghabdabs Sun 12-Oct-08 17:25:01

Her first teeth all arrived v quickly and she'd lost them all (I thought) by the time she was 5. She saw the dentist 2 months ago and has perfect teeth (no gum disease/fillings etc)

She's been at a party today and bitten into a cake, felt pain and realised she now has an extremely wobbly lower canine tooth. (Can see underneath it it's that wobbly)

Is this a last remaining baby tooth or could it be an adult one? Do kids continue to lose teeth at this age after so many years of not?

Emergency dentist people say charing cross a and e and wait... but I don't want to go all the way there to discover it's perfectly normal (and look stupid) blush

Panicking! Please help!

screaminghabdabs Sun 12-Oct-08 17:32:31

Anyone? Please...

mustsleep Sun 12-Oct-08 17:44:17

i think that you can still have baby teeth when you are nine....sure i knew someone who still had a baby tooth left at the back when she was 15!!

not sure what you would do other than call the dentist tomorrow - have read though in the waiting room before that ifthe tooth falls out not to rinse it and to put it backinto the gum and hold it there until you get to the dentist as they can apparently do something with it

although this is more for if they get knocked out

i think it must be a baby tooth though cos it would surey have been really painful if it was an adult tooth and it would be really painful now as the roots are really deep i think

screaminghabdabs Sun 12-Oct-08 17:54:36

Thanks for getting back to me. She is in pain but I've decided to take the emergency dentist advice and send her and DH ;) to have it looked at this evening as they said if it is an adult tooth there is more chance of saving it if treated quickly.

Just hoping it's a milk tooth....

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sun 12-Oct-08 17:56:14

It's her baby tooth. DS1 (9) lost a canine a few weeks ago (I'll find thread in a minute) - cue massive panic. Rang SIL (dentist) and she said canines (and pre-molar thingies) go at aged 9. He's since lost 3 other teeth.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sun 12-Oct-08 17:58:45

Here's my thread

screaminghabdabs Sun 12-Oct-08 17:58:51

Wow! I never knew that. Been googling frantically as it's been such a long time since she lost the previous ones. I'd assumed the tooth fairy would be in retirement by now. Thanks for the reassurance

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sun 12-Oct-08 18:00:51

Oh I know, I had a huge panic as you can see from my thread

bellavita Sun 12-Oct-08 18:56:55

DS1 (11) has only just lost some of his "big" teeth a few weeks ago.

Dentist said on their last check up in July that he did not want to xray him and would wait until the next check up, but luckily they have come out by themselves.

Saturn74 Sun 12-Oct-08 18:59:57

DS1 (12) lost his last baby tooth last week.
DS2 (10) only has one to go.

I'm sure your DD will be fine. smile

screaminghabdabs Sun 12-Oct-08 20:39:39

The shame......it is a milk tooth blush but has now been expertly removed and DD1 is busy writing to the tooth fairy.

Next problem, how the hell do I get to a 9 year old's top bunk without her waking and twigging

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Saturn74 Sun 12-Oct-08 20:40:56

That's great news.
What a relief! smile

Twigging what? wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now