Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Does anyone have a child/children who do not use soap because of excema? If so I have a quick question......

(26 Posts)
Aliensloveunderpants Sun 12-Oct-08 16:33:07

.....DD has recently been to see the dermatologist. She is now not to use soap in the bath but an emollient and a cream to wash with, followed by a moisturiser afterwards.

Anyway my question is, now that soap if off the bath time agenda, what do you wash their bottoms with? Do you use the cream or use soap just for that bit? Thanks.

foxinsocks Sun 12-Oct-08 16:34:06

water

we don't use that emollient at all because it just became a pita!

feedthegoat Sun 12-Oct-08 16:35:24

I still just use the cream. Don't really know if right thing to do but it is one of areas my DS's skin is really dry.

foxinsocks Sun 12-Oct-08 16:36:44

I mean we didn't use the emollient in the bath (but obv put cream on afterwards iyswim)

theresathought Sun 12-Oct-08 16:39:09

I always used the cream to wash him all over (even his hair) and DS's bottom was always perfectly clean. It's just a little one's bum after all, they don't need to be surgically clean. Because of all the nappy changing and wiping anyway, his bum could get a bit dry and sore anyway so the last thing I wanted to do was put soap on it. Loads of moisturiser afterwards too.

SmugColditz Sun 12-Oct-08 16:44:49

You can get bath oil from superdrug that is half the price of oilatum and just as good. I just slooth them with a flannel and the bathwater.

solo Sun 12-Oct-08 16:47:20

My Ds always used aqueous cream on all parts. He still uses it on his bottom and bits. Luckily, he has mostly out grown eczema now, so not so important.

Aliensloveunderpants Sun 12-Oct-08 16:53:30

Great thanks, all our stuff has been on prescription so far but that's because we're not in the UK yet. WIll I have to buy it myself when we move back.

DD is 5 so nappies not an issue, just didn't want her smell - not sure why I think she might without soap. Her skin has improved already and we have only been using it for a few days.

SmugColditz Sun 12-Oct-08 16:55:25

You're not really supposed to use soap and female genitals anyway, it's more likely to MAKE them smell.

Re the prescriptions .... well some doctors will give you emollients on prescription, but the ones in my area won't. You have to buy them.

Aliensloveunderpants Sun 12-Oct-08 16:58:04

Have never heard that one Smugcolditz! But maybe it's just as well we're not to use soap if that's the case.

Sycamoretree Sun 12-Oct-08 17:02:56

we just used the emollient in the bath, and a sponge. Didn't apply any extra cream or wash or whatever. How old is your DD?

claireyBOOOO Sun 12-Oct-08 17:06:22

Mine just get washed with water, emollient only when they get really bad patches

ScareyBitchFeast Sun 12-Oct-08 17:09:29

anyone use Simple Soap?>

Aliensloveunderpants Sun 12-Oct-08 17:17:18

DD is 5 sycamore tree.

Sawyer64 Sun 12-Oct-08 17:24:52

Beware using anything else as most Eczema sfferers are sensitive/allergic to Lanolin,which is in almost everything.

Aqueous should be used in the place of soap for any area.I used to be Theatre Nurse,and some people even scrub up with it as anything else caused their allergies/Eczema to flare up.

Don't advise Soap/Aqueous/or any other soap-like product to be used on genitalia, its usually too harsh and will irritate.

Sometimes Oilatum isn't helping,but there are many different types of Emollients,and its a case of trial and error to find one that suits.

prideandprejudice Sun 12-Oct-08 17:26:12

Ds (6) only just growing out of severe-ish eczema. We found aqueous cream dissolves a bit better in the bath for washing than some of the heavier prescription creams and is v cheap to buy if you get those massive tubs.

Aliensloveunderpants Sun 12-Oct-08 17:28:55

Thanks Sawyer, the dermatologists recommendations seem to be working a treat so I think we'll stick with them for a while.

DD hasn't got bad excema at all. The only reason she went to see a dermatologist was because of a patch at the back of her knee we couldn't get rid off. She gets very small patches here and there and DS gets a little bit in his creases (he is 3).

SmugColditz Sun 12-Oct-08 17:36:59

It's cos it upsets the natural pH of the vagina

solo Sun 12-Oct-08 21:10:12

Sawyer, I was advised by a gynea doc to wash my bits with aqueous creamhmmwhen my perenium wouldn't heal. Any sign of soreness and it's the first thing I reach for in the shower.

themildmannneredjanitor Sun 12-Oct-08 21:13:31

we use emulsifying ointment as a soap substitute.
lather it up and sssslap it on. cleans bums fine!

i get all my kids emollients on prescription. aveeno and ebverything.

lou031205 Sun 12-Oct-08 21:35:41

Slight diversion, but I have excema, and all my creams/treatments are prescribed, so I would imagine your children's stuff should be too, if you ask.

SmugColditz Mon 13-Oct-08 08:11:18

It does depend on your doctor There is a big sign up in our surgery stating that the doctors wont prescribe emollients for ANYONE

brimfull Mon 13-Oct-08 08:16:33

we use dermal 500 or 600 one is emollient stuff to put in bathwater and other is creamy soap substitute .
get both on prescription

norksinmywaistband Mon 13-Oct-08 08:26:30

DS reacts to soap, but we gave up on creams in the bath.
We have now switched to the Halos and Horns range and his skin has been fine. His eczema still flares up if we use other soap or shampo, but sems alright with these products and we now rarely need prescription stuff

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now