Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

First time mum needs your help: baby not passing stools

(10 Posts)
Alexa808 Sun 12-Oct-08 10:32:15

Hello all,

can you please help me? I don't know if I should be worried. My newborn daughter (10 d) hasn't had a bowel movement for over 36h.

She does pee though. She is on total breastfeed and is fed regularly. She seems fine and is sleeping now. I was told she'd poo very regularly... Is something wrong? I am so clueless...

MoChan Sun 12-Oct-08 10:40:37

Breastfed babies sometimes go for ages without doing a poo. My daughter went for more than two weeks without once, when she was around six weeks old. Took her to the doctor and he said as long as she didn't seem uncomfortable not to worry too much.

I think it's partly because breastmilk is a really efficient food, and there's actually not that much waste.

MoChan Sun 12-Oct-08 10:42:06

But if it carries on for ages, you should just talk to your HV, set your mind at rest.

glasgowgal Sun 12-Oct-08 10:42:09

Perfectly normal apparently in BF babies. Can go either dirty nappy every feed or once every couple of days. Don't worry, especially as she seems fine and is wetting.

Alexa808 Sun 12-Oct-08 10:46:48

Oh, I see. Thank you so much. God, I feel like such an idiot. I didn't know this. I actually know very little.

Thank you so much for helping. I'll keep an eye open.

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Sun 12-Oct-08 10:48:04

Definitely can be normal for bf babies - I had a friend whose DD only pooed once a week, on a Friday evening, for months.

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Sun 12-Oct-08 10:50:22

Alexa - that's why Mumsnet's so fab - loads of people who've been through what you're going through - I didn't know anything either grin. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Alexa808 Sun 12-Oct-08 10:53:20

Haha...lovely Friday evening routine. What else is there to do but poo grin

I know, MN rules!! Thanks for your help!

MadameCheese Tue 14-Oct-08 14:56:31

My DS did this and the periods between poos got longer and longer. I too was worried because it's not what you think a baby should be doing,(I thought he'd be pooing every 5 minutes)! Good luck with the nappy when it does come, it can be like nothing on earth!

beeper Tue 14-Oct-08 16:39:06

He He

Another wee breastfed baby who causes poo trouble.

My nearly 6th month old only goes once a week at most, and sometimes 10 days. He does not have a hard tummy and is not in pain, in the day just before his about to go, lots of stinky trumps and a bigger belly than normal, then tonnes of poops.

Ive worried and searched the internet and loads of breastfed babys do it.

As long as tummy is not hard and not in pain, not a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now