Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Come talk to me about cellulitis...

(6 Posts)
ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Sat 11-Oct-08 08:36:07

... because following a freak accident at school, DS2 (7) has been hospitalised with a nasty infection in his cheek which made him look like Quasimodo. Oral ABs didn't touch it so, following a trip to A&E via the GP, he's been hospitalised for IV antibiotics.

He is not a happy bunny (although he is actually perfectly well in himself bar the hamster cheek and associated pain) but they've mentioned transferring him from the local hospital (Mayday) to St Georges to <<look away if you're squeamish>> drain it if it doesn't go down.

Refuse to google it for fear of worst case scenarios!

angelene Sat 11-Oct-08 08:40:36

My mum's had it a few times, always facial like your DS, the hardcore, full-on IV antib's have always worked but have left her wiped out afterwards. I hope it works out for him, it is a really horrible infection which the doctors will be very careful with due to its location. Good luck smile

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Sat 11-Oct-08 08:48:22

Thanks

Lubyloo Sat 11-Oct-08 11:38:38

My granddad has had it a couple of times on his ear. He has also been hospitalised with IV antibiotics for a couple of days but made a full recovery with no lasting effects other than his ear being sensitive to changes in temperature.

Hope your DS gets better soon.

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Sat 11-Oct-08 20:50:45

Thanks.

Found out today he'll be in until at least Monday. completely mad for what was a nothing injury!

runnervt Sat 11-Oct-08 21:31:34

My ds had cellulitis in his hand last year (at 1yr old). He was admitted for IV antibiotics but they couldn't get a line in so he had oral ones instead. He was in for three nights and had to continue the course at home. They started working within a day or so and by then he was happy as long as you didn't touch his sore hand. We never knew where he got it from though as there wasn't even any sign of a scratch.

Hope your ds responds to the ABs quickly.

Also there was another wee girl in with cellutlitis in her foot and it seemed to respond at the same rate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now