Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Do chesty coughs cause vomiting in children, or is this something more?

(8 Posts)
hobnob57 Fri 10-Oct-08 18:32:01

My DD threw up her lunch on Wednesday, her breakfast on Thursday and her dinner tonight. She has a rapidly developing nasty chesty cough and seems to vomit when the coughing gets worse at mealtimes.

To complicate things, she has a history of silent reflux which has (and still is) managed with ranitidine. She's 22 months.

I thought initially that the reflux had returned and was causing the cough, but then she got a streaming nose today. She tries to hold in her coughs at mealtimes and I was encouraging her not to, to see if that helped, but it led directly to tonight's boke. She's now struggling with a really jumpy tummy and is refusing all food and drink.

Sorry if I'm being a bit PFC here, but I'd never associated coughs and sickness before and wondered if this is bog standard common?

Romy7 Fri 10-Oct-08 18:35:05

violent coughing can trigger sickness, as can persistent post nasal drip (ewww) here... however, with a history of reflux i'd have to say wheel her back to gp for a check up...

MatNanPlus Fri 10-Oct-08 18:35:13

I have had children in the past who would eat, cough and vomit, small easy to digest meals help.

Let her settle for a bit, sometimes no dairy can help.

hobnob57 Fri 10-Oct-08 18:42:00

THanks. I wouldn't say the coughing has been violent, which is what confused me. She's pretty much dairy-free anyway (we've been slowly re-introducing it since 18mnths). I'll try her with her formula after ITNG and a bath. We're off to Ireland on Monday so I just needed reassurance that a simple explanation of chesty cough could apply. Will keep monitoring things.

TinkerBellesMum Fri 10-Oct-08 18:44:08

Tink was sick all over the GP waiting room the other week, she had a chest infection and wasn't coughing that hard but was always coughing before being sick.

SazzlesA Fri 10-Oct-08 18:45:22

Message withdrawn

Overmydeadbody Fri 10-Oct-08 18:49:23

Coughing can trigger the reflex to vomit ni children, It happens to DS a lot, doctor said it was standard and not to worry, just offer lots of smaller meals.

bamzooki Fri 10-Oct-08 23:59:26

My DS always has a hair trigger on the vomit button whenever he gets a chesty cold/cough. He's 5 now, and is getting slightly better with age.

Can be avoided slightly by leaving breakfast till after the early morning coughing has passed for a while, etc, but otherwise I give small portions, minimal dairy, and just keep a bowl handy...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: