Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

dd2 has eaten some berries in the garden, how do i know if they are poisonous or not?

(11 Posts)
Marne Fri 10-Oct-08 15:41:53

Dd2 has eaten some berries from our hedge in the front garden, i pulled a few out of her mouth but im unsure how many she has eaten. I hav'nt got a clue what berries they are, there were 2 types, yellow and red. How do i know if they are poisonous or not?

Should i be worried or are most safe to eat?

BoysAreLikeRabidDogs Fri 10-Oct-08 15:45:23

Can you take her to the hospital, with one each of the berries, and a leaf from each bush/tree, so that staff can try to identify the species.

She is most likely to be fine but I would get it checked.

gingerninja Fri 10-Oct-08 15:49:12

What did the bush look like? Yew berries (the seed) can be poisonous. Some things like Hawthorn will be OK.

Marne Fri 10-Oct-08 15:50:18

She ate them over half an hour ago, starting to worry, she seems fine and im not sure if she swallowed any. Im trying to google it and see if i can find the plant it came from.

Can't get to A&E as Dh has the car until 10pm (work), A&E is half an hours drive away.

MrsTittleMouse Fri 10-Oct-08 15:51:48

If you can't get to A&E, I know that a friend phoned NHS direct with a question about posioning (in an adult) and they were very helpful.

Marne Fri 10-Oct-08 15:52:59

I have just googled yew berries (ar'nt they the most poisonous?), they arn't yew berries, they are a darker red, not as round (slightly oval shape) and orange in the middle. Im not as worried about the yellow ones (i think she ate a couple of these)

callmeovercautious Fri 10-Oct-08 15:54:58

Pop down the GP now while they are still open and ask them to check for you.

MOrticiaAdams Fri 10-Oct-08 15:56:41

I think that if they are poisonous, they'd come back up pretty quickly. I don't know where I heard that, but I did! Get peace of mind from the professionals though!

Marne Fri 10-Oct-08 16:02:02

GP's half an hors drive away too, i cant find it on google but it is simalar to hawthawn. I think i got most of the red ones out of her mouth.

I think yellow berries ar'nt poisonous (acording to my neighbour) hmm

ClosedForCleaning Fri 10-Oct-08 16:07:29

Pick a sample of leaves and berry. Phone NHS direct. IIRC they have a database that can identify plants by process of elimination - they just ask you a series of questions. (Remember hearing about it on the radio a while back, so hopefully it is now 'live' and available).

Most berries are bitter and horrible so unlikely she'd consume much. Hope it's a false alarm.

Marne Sat 11-Oct-08 08:46:28

Dd is still alive grin

I took the plant and berries to a lady down the road who knows almost evrything about plants, it was a type of hawthawn and dd is fine (few)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now