Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is there an age minimum for nits?

(6 Posts)
mamaberta Fri 10-Oct-08 09:20:58

OK so I know nits don't chek your date of birth before infesting you LOL grinbut I wondered if there tended to be a minimum age that kids get them. I definitely have them for the first time as suspected. A good mate with school age kids told me yesterday that I needed to get the kit becaue they have them. DD 1 is at preschool, age 3. She has very fine baby hair, still a bit sparse and I can't detect any on her (or my 11 month baby).I thought maybe if the hair is too fine the little b**s can't grip? Anyway, I'll comb after using conditioner (seems that nits are becoming immune to the insecticide treatments anyway)

Seona1973 Fri 10-Oct-08 11:23:13

my dd got them when she was 2 but she had lots of hair from birth. We did use a lotion and it worked fine.

DraculaNeedsArteries Fri 10-Oct-08 11:24:08

I know 6m old that had them.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 10-Oct-08 11:25:02

My DS1 got them when he was 1. He had quite sparse hair, which meant they were easy to spot, once I realised what to look for. Have you seen nits before? Or can you get your friend whose kids have nits to have a look?

shelleylou Fri 10-Oct-08 11:37:18

my ds had a few at bout 4/5 months as his half sister was constantly riddled with them. As he was only little i had to take him HV for them to see he had them then they prescribed Hedrin

mamaberta Fri 10-Oct-08 18:31:24

Unfortunately as of today I know exactly what the little sods look like dead and alive as I did the detection comb and then the post treatment comb through [vom]. Have detect combed them both and nothing whereas mine were very clear and obvious and I have lots of hair for the buggers to hide in unlike the girls. thanks for the warning though. Am going to start a weekly nit night (they don't tell you about that on the Congrats on Your New Baby cards do they??!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now