Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS is saying 'I got a fly in my ear'

(12 Posts)
2point4kids Thu 09-Oct-08 09:21:55

He is just turned 3.
He's told me this 4 times in the last 2 weeks with a few days between each time.

He's not so good at talking so cant really explain himself any further.

I dont know whether he means he can hear buzzing (dont know why he would though?), whether a fly had gone past and he heard it or whether he could have something in his ear stuck (would this buzz inside his ear?)

I would feel utterly stupid taking him to the Dr because he has a fly in his ear when he is perfectly well otherwise, but what else can I do other than wait and see if anything else comes of it?

What would you do?

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Thu 09-Oct-08 09:22:31

has he had his hearing checked?

belgo Thu 09-Oct-08 09:23:28

I would probably take him to the doctors and get his ears looked into, to make sure there is nothing there, because if there is something there that's stuck, then it does need to be seen to.

gingerninja Thu 09-Oct-08 09:25:35

Maybe he's got a bit of wax that is causing some trapped air to buzz or something. Does he seem irritated by the ear like you would if it was blocked? Has he had a cold?

2point4kids Thu 09-Oct-08 09:26:23

Its always the same ear, which makes me more inclined to think he's not making it up.
He does have a cold, so perhaps its related to that?

Kerry - funny you should say that, but someone did sayto me recently that I should get his hearing checked as he shouts everything rather than talks, but I havent done because he can hear well when we talk to him and he can hear things like aeroplanes etc before I spot them!

2point4kids Thu 09-Oct-08 09:27:19

He doesnt seem irritated by the ear. He just thinks theres a fly in it.

harleydarkside Thu 09-Oct-08 09:27:43

oh i dont know if this is any help, but when my hayfever is really bad i get like a fluttering noise/sensation like somethings flapping in my ear. the doc told me it can be common with allergies or if you have a bad cold. it freaked me out, i thought a bloody big moth or something was living in my ear, but theres nothing there smile

belgo Thu 09-Oct-08 09:28:12

yes ask about his hearing as well. My dd1 had a haering problem and dh and I didn't have a clue, it was only other people telling us she couldn't hear properly, and they were right.

2point4kids Thu 09-Oct-08 09:29:16

Oh! that sounds scary. I've never heard of that before!

So, do you all think I should take him to the Drs then or leave it a bit and see?

belgo Thu 09-Oct-08 09:30:26

I personally think you should make an appointment for the beginning of next week and see how he is then. You can always cancel if he's no longer complaining.

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Thu 09-Oct-08 09:32:25

yes make an appointment.

It could be wax. It could be hearing problem. Needs to be checked asap.

2point4kids Thu 09-Oct-08 15:41:02

Got an appt for Monday!
Thanks for the advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now