Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any epilepsy experts about?

(6 Posts)
harman Wed 08-Oct-08 11:34:02

Message withdrawn

harman Wed 08-Oct-08 12:31:03

Message withdrawn

harman Thu 09-Oct-08 10:54:46

Message withdrawn

snowybun Fri 10-Oct-08 22:18:13

Hi,

My Ds 4 has epilepsy he has a mixture of full convulsive seizures and partial ones.
The loss of understandable speech is a definate sign for our Ds he even 'lost' words when his seizures were at there worst.
I see you have filmed one that will be really handy also keep a diary of when, how long and what happens also what happened before would also be good for his appointment.
There as others have said lots of types of seizures.
Your Dc should have an EEG although if like my Ds who has had numerous done with nothing showing as no seizures happened at the times of the EEG's being done it can be very frustrating. He also had an MRI done which showed nothing.
Ds was started on tegretol which done nothing they added epilim which really made a difference so he came off the tegretol. He still has at least one seizure every 12 weeks sometimes more frequently if his dose is getting low but nothing like the huge clusters of seizures he was having every 4 weeks. It can take a while to get drugs and doses right for us we are almost 3 years since it all started.

notsoteenagemum Fri 10-Oct-08 22:56:22

I'm not an expert but my sister has epilepsy, two types affecting two parts of the brain.
One causes 'full' seizures and the other absences, before diagnosis following a 'full' seizure at 7 she only had absences.
These presented as a
'daydreamy' state,
forgetting things eg going upstairs to get something and just coming back down again,
slurry speech and loss of words,
these usually occured in the morning but also like your lo on car journeys we later found out that objects passing by had similar effect to strobe lighting which she is sensitive to.
My sis was treated with meds and seizure free until around 18 when college stress became too much and meds changed due to epilim causing problems with fertility in girls. She's 25 now and has still unfortunately not been successful with meds especially mixed with a very hedonistic lifestyle! She has had lots of tests and scans etc and its only fairly recently(past 6-7 years) that we've had any explanations as to the cause and nature of the epilepsy, mostly due to how well controlled it was in childhood.
I agree with the diary my sis still does this, I hope this helps. Good luck

harman Mon 13-Oct-08 10:21:20

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: