Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS had a terrible night, temp of 40.1, better now but I'm a wreck!

(5 Posts)
MamaHobgoblin Tue 07-Oct-08 11:12:45

That's it, really. He's 31 wks. Seems to have picked up a bug on the back of the cold he's had for a week, so still snotty, phlegmy etc. Took him to GP yday to get chest, ears etc checked out - all clear, no sign of infection so this is most likely a second bug overlapping with the first. Gave lots of calpol and nurofen as advised.

My main worry was his horrible high temps, which were spiking up and down from 3am night before last until this morning, and making him cry/scream inconsolably. Seems to have stopped, but at worst, 2am today, was 40.1 (ear thermometer). Freaked us out, despite gp saying earlier that high temps not necessarily dire, and we rang NHS direct. Eventually, went to out-of-hours centre. By which time, DS was laughing at doctor and thought that stethoscopes at 4am were hilarious! He does seem improved now, though still v short fuse and obviously extremely tired!

Neither DH or I have had more than 6 hours sleep for past 2 nights combined, and I'm feeling traumatised by DS's night of continual suffering. He just was not himself at all. I know am being wimp, will have to grow a pair etc, but it's the first time he's been this ill and I just feel like crying all the time, even though (I hope) worst is over now.

DS asleep on lap at the moment, btw, a bit warm but not roasting!

littlelapin Tue 07-Oct-08 11:14:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stroppyknickers Tue 07-Oct-08 11:15:28

keep an eye, take him back if concerned, and try to keep his temperature down. it's really hard, but play safe with babies. good luck.

MamaHobgoblin Tue 07-Oct-08 13:24:47

Thanks for the kind thoughts! DS does have a habit of perking up for the doctor, but this is the most he's ever perked from, iyswim!

I'm underdressing him, but he does seem to have lost the really high fever now.

Elibean Tue 07-Oct-08 14:19:27

Terrifying, isn't it? I kept thinking dds were going to have convulsions any minute, when they had high temps like that, but they never have (and would be ok if they had, scary as I found the thought).

Major sympathy for you, you'll find ds bounces back faster than his mum I expect smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now