Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4 year old dd can't stop going to the loo

(13 Posts)
littlelamb Mon 06-Oct-08 22:18:18

My first thought was cystitis but she says it doesn't hurt. She complained of a headache when we got home from preschool and was in bed asleep by half five, after many trips to the loo. She woke up a bit later and now every ten minutes or so is saying she needs a wee. I have said we will take her to the doctors tomorrow but I have no idea whats wrong with her! Anyone?

CarGirl Mon 06-Oct-08 22:19:43

There is a rare chance it could be diabetes. Is she very thirsty?

FanjolinaJolly Mon 06-Oct-08 22:19:59

Is she constantly thirsty as well?

CarGirl Mon 06-Oct-08 22:20:33

Is she actually weeing or just thinking she needs a wee?

It could just be a bladder infection.

littlelamb Mon 06-Oct-08 22:22:56

She is going each time but not a huge ammount. Am suddenly having a lightbulb moment with the diabetes thing though- just recently she has been thirsty all the time. Not today though. hmm.

wilkos Mon 06-Oct-08 22:22:59

oh dear poor dd, sounds like cystitis to me. me and my sister suffered from it as children and its not very pleasant.

make sure she has loads and loads of water

my mum used to get us drinking lemon barley which was very soothing (she also used to give us weak tea which was ace but maybe a bit old fashioned now!)

calpol or similar will help a lot too

I do remember tho that sometimes once enough liquid had been drunk the discomfort would pass VERY quickly and the infection often cleared up of its own accord. just a case of getting the balance right i guess

good luck x

wilkos Mon 06-Oct-08 22:24:34

also just thought - headache can often be caused by dehydration which of course can also cause cystitis?

maybe worth thinking about?

CarGirl Mon 06-Oct-08 22:24:55

Please ask your gp to do a quick test to rule out diabetes it is easy to miss in the early stage and very cheap and easy to do the "quick" test for.

Spidermama Mon 06-Oct-08 22:26:13

littlelamb take some wee to the doctor and he or she can test it there and then.

My ds was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 5. There are other reasons for lots of thirst and weeing but you need to eliminate the possibility of diabetes.

littlelamb Mon 06-Oct-08 22:28:46

Thank you I will take dd (and pot of wee) in the morning. Now how on earth am I going to convince her that weeing in a jar is a good idea...

CarGirl Mon 06-Oct-08 22:31:16

Use a large flattish tupperware type dish, sit her on the loo as normal and hold it underneath. Bribe with chocolate as required. If you do it first thing in the morning the need to do a wee will hopefully be stronger than the reluctance at weeiing because you are there with the tub!

Spidermama Mon 06-Oct-08 22:33:03

And if you fail to get the wee don't worry too much as most docs, or at least the nurses there, can do a quick finger prick blood test to find out there and then.

Other possibilities to look into include urinary tract infection or perhaps food intolernace.

Good luck. smile

whooosh Mon 06-Oct-08 22:37:11

My DD(age 3) had exactly the same symptoms a few weeks ago-because she had no pain on (frequent but small) urination,I assumed it couldn't be an infection.The pain in her head got so bad I was called to school to pick her up.
Nurofen and Calpol helped with the pain and Doc prescribed anti-biotics due to the symptoms going on so long.

Never heard anything back from Docs re urine
sample but within 2 days of the anti-biotice,I had my real 3 yr old back!

Best of luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: