Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What is wrong with DD2? Is it a bug or something else? I'm not sure!

(14 Posts)
tortoise Sat 04-Oct-08 11:11:18

DD2 age 4 woke at 4.30 this morning crying and saying her throat hurts.

5am she was a bit sick. Said throat hurt not tummy. Gave her calpol and a drink of water and she slept until 7am when DD1 woke everyone up!

She had some more water then was ok until 8.30 when she was a bit sick again.

She had a plain biscuit at 9. Then fine until 10.45 when she brought up a bit of water and some biscuit(I wouldn't say it was all of it).
Has said once her tummy hurts a little bit but most of the time she says her throat hurts. But isn't hurting at the moment and nor is her tummy!

So, could it be something other than a bug? I know there is a D&V bug going round.

Janni Sat 04-Oct-08 11:19:11

I think the throat hurting could be because of the discomfort of being sick and the acid. Little ones find it quite hard to identify where they feel pain. It sounds like a classic 24 hour virus. As long as she has sips of water and just eats a bit when she feels like it I think she'll be fine. Personally, I wouldn't give Calpol unless there was a high temp., because it's just one more thing to irritate the stomach if she's needing to vomit.

My DD (3) had the same thing last week and was fine after one day.

tortoise Sat 04-Oct-08 11:22:07

Throat hurt before she was sick though. Thats why i gave calpol because she said it hurt. I would have instantly said it was a bug if she was sick lots in the beginning but it is the long gap between bits of sick that confussed me and that she isn't really urging after the first bit.

Janni Sat 04-Oct-08 11:25:06

But the throat hurting could be her interpretation of 'I'm going to be sick'??
You know, that horrible feeling you get in your throat when you're going to vomit.

Unless of course she also has a cold virus which is giving her a sore throat, but in that case her throat would be sore all the time.

Let's see what other people think.

You've got four kids, right? What's different about this episode that's worrying you?

tortoise Sat 04-Oct-08 11:28:50

Yes it could be. smile
It's difficult because they rarely get ill so i am not used to knowing about bugs. DS1 and DS2 haven't been sick for at least 2 yrs! Actually i don't think any of them have been ill for ages!

To me a sick bug would be lots of episodes of being sick in the 1st few hours not going from 5am-8.30 without being sick but i guess all bugs vary.
Thanks for helping. smile
(Emetiphobe too which doesn't help!)

Janni Sat 04-Oct-08 11:32:42

Oh poor you, no wonder you're feeling uneasy then. My DD had two major vomits in quick succession at nursery (lucky me!!), then nothing else except a bit of diarrhoea and she was fine by the next day.

Hope your LO feels better soon.

tortoise Sat 04-Oct-08 11:34:32

Thanks. smile
No major vomits/D yet!

tortoise Sat 04-Oct-08 12:11:12

She seems ok at the moment.
Need to go to the shop but i better keep her in. Will miss the childrens carnival parade too. sad

tortoise Sat 04-Oct-08 16:15:49

She had a sleep this afternoon and has a temp now. No more sick though. She has had a biscuit and an ice lolly.
Still no idea if she has a bug or not!

Janni Sat 04-Oct-08 21:25:17

Had to go to a kids' party. It was awful grin - needed a lie-down to recover.

It sounds like it's working its way out of her system now - a temp is not a bad thing in itself as long as it doesn't keep going up.

gigglewitch Sat 04-Oct-08 21:31:17

ds2 has also said tonight that his throat hurt - then threw up too hmm
usually would say it is his tummy.
Weird.

tortoise Sat 04-Oct-08 21:39:32

She has eaten a little bit of pasta tonight and has been complaining of a sore thrat a few times. Now asleep.

gigglewitch It is very strange isn't it? Hope your DS2 recovers soon.

Janni Sat 04-Oct-08 22:04:00

The ongoing sore throat thing does sound like something separate from the vomiting though. Like I said, this past week I've had the sore throat and DD had the vomiting so maybe all these lovely bugs are just doing the rounds of MNers' homes grin

Good that she's asleep. Hope you have a restful night x

tortoise Sat 04-Oct-08 22:22:27

Thanks janni. As long as she keeps it to herself it will be ok! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now