Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

cough in 7 month old - what else can i do?(and am i doing it right?!)

(6 Posts)
MerlinsBeard Fri 03-Oct-08 22:45:28

A bit of bacground....DS3 gets a lot of coughs. There was a point where he had a cough for a number for weeks and the GP gave me an inhalor with a spacer to use up to 4 times a day when he has a cough.(I am asthmatic so the theory is that it could be asthmas but she won't diagnose officially in under 2s) This was a few months ago and each time he has got a cough we have used the spacer/inhaler and it eases it quite quickly.

Now he is a bit older and he has another cough. It's quite bad in that he is disturbed with it and he will have a period of a lot of coughs before he draws a proper breath(IYSWIM). I have been using the spacer for the last 2 days but he is fighting it now and won't let me holds it to his face. How can i get any amount of ventolin in him when he does that?!
I rang the DRs today and they said to use the ventolin over w/e as i have been told and to go back on Monday if no improvement. In the meantime, what can i do for him?
I am hardly getting anysleep because aside from his coughing, he is feeding badly (always feeds a lot at night still in any case) and i have things on my mind as well as DS1 and 2 to cope with. DP needs to be alert and working as he has a jam packed weekend and week ahead work wise that can't be postponed. Today i vac'd his room out and have turned his radiator down a bit lower as i sometimes get 'chesty' with the rads too high, his cot head is raised slightly, he has had calpol(teething as well i think) and i have karvol that i will put on a tissue in his room if that may help but i don't know what to dooooo

MerlinsBeard Fri 03-Oct-08 22:48:33

sorry, i clicked post instead of preview!!

ChocolateMouse Fri 03-Oct-08 23:02:23

Hi MOM, your poor thing - sounds like you have a lot on your plate at the moment.

I'm not sure if this will be any help but I have recently been diagnosed with 'possible asthma' and have been given a Ventolin inhaler to try. On top of that, DS (8 months old), has had a cough that's been gradually getting worse over the course of the last week or so. Our GP advised for us both to sit in the bathroom and run the bath/shower very hot so that we can inhale the steam to help clear the airways. GP said to do this once a day and that should help. Tried it with DS this morning and he seems to have improved - not sure if it's the steam that helped though. Also giving Calpol for teething too sad.

Apart from that, I've found and still do, that putting a cup of water on each radiator in the house helps to humidify the air a little. Just replace the water when it runs out.

HTH smile

MerlinsBeard Fri 03-Oct-08 23:06:43

cup of water, thats what i haven't tried yet. i will do that when i go up to bed. I can't run the bath/shower now as it would wake DS1 and 2 but i can have him in the room with me in morning when i have a shower

thank you CM

I hope your DS gets better soon Its horrible when they look at us for help and we can't give it

ChocolateMouse Fri 03-Oct-08 23:12:28

Thanks MOM, I hope your lo get better soon too. I agree, it's agonising to look at them and feel totally helpless sad

Take care smile

MerlinsBeard Tue 07-Oct-08 15:57:27

How is your DS chocolatemoouse?

DS3 still has a night cough so we are still using his spacer before he goes down for the night but he is hugely improved from my OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now