Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How can I chase up ds hospital appointment?

(12 Posts)
3kids1cat Fri 03-Oct-08 16:13:42

4-5 weeks ago ds had an appointment at the opthamology outpatients dept at our local hospital. He was told he needed minor surgery on both eyes to remove cysts on his eyelids.

I was told he would get an appointment within a couple of weeks, but haven't heard anything from them since. I don't have a phone number to ring or a ref no or anything. So how do I contact someone to get it sorted out?

policywonk Fri 03-Oct-08 16:15:01

Ring the department where you had the previous appointment and ask them to look into it for you.

brimfull Fri 03-Oct-08 16:15:04

if you have the name of your ds's consultant you can phone his secretary to ask

AnnElk Fri 03-Oct-08 16:15:04

Do you have a number for the main hosp switchboard?

Look out older letters, they may have number

NoblesseOblige Fri 03-Oct-08 16:16:56

google the hospital, ring any numbers you find and keep explaining yourself until you find someone who can help you. i have had to do this before, can be lengthy, but works eventually smile

NorthernLurker Fri 03-Oct-08 16:18:51

If you can't get any where yourself ring the PALS (patient advice and liaison service) for your hospital - you should be able to find this by googling assomeone else as said. They will do the chasing for you.

3kids1cat Fri 03-Oct-08 16:25:09

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. Have got the main hospital switchboard number, and have just googled and got the PALS number (thanks Northern). Will give it a try now.

3kids1cat Fri 03-Oct-08 16:54:31

rang the switchboard, they put me through to the right dept, then the phone was ringing for 10 mins. It kept being picked up and I could hear someone there, but then would just go back to ringing. Then someone picked it up, said for gods sake and put me on hold with the holding music. I waited for 5 more mins then hung up.

Think I'll have to give PALS a ring.

thebutlerdidit Fri 03-Oct-08 16:56:36

your gp should be able to chase it up if you have had a gp referal

monkeymonkeymonkey Fri 03-Oct-08 16:58:04

If it is any consolation the phone probably wasnt being picked up, it would have rung a set number of times then reverted to switchboard, then been put back to the department you were after and so on until the person in swutchboard got fed up.
Hopefully you have more luck on monday!

3kids1cat Fri 03-Oct-08 17:01:24

Yes will try my Gp if I don't get anywhere thebutler. Thanks for the info monkey, just want it sorting out. Ds has had them for 6 months now and is getting really fed up.

clarinsgirl Fri 03-Oct-08 17:04:26

My DS is a regular at Opthamology Dept and I've found them terribly dis-organised regarding appointments (brilliant when you're there). Just keep trying, I found first thing in the morning an optimum time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now