Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please come and tell me that just because my DD has a blocked up nose and keeps sneezing, doesn't mean she will have a cold on sunday?

(15 Posts)
used2bthin Fri 03-Oct-08 08:45:19

She is due to have an operation on monday and going in sunday night. I have prepared for it and kept her away from groups etc all week to try to minimise the risk of catching something that would prevent her from having it but obviously can't always avoid colds so now its looking likely she won't have it. I'm so stressed about it as it will put back her next one and just the thought of al the waiting and preparation again is so depressing. I know its not a miracal but maybe echinasia will help it go quickly? Two days is not long though is it? sad

frazzledbutcalm Fri 03-Oct-08 11:02:45

We've all had it for over a week now. Why not ring hospital and see what their view is?

used2bthin Fri 03-Oct-08 13:07:58

The letter says not to bring her if she has a cold and I know from last year that they won't do it if there is anything wrong at all. I am just so upset about it and the thought of going through this again. I will just have to see how she is on sunday I suppose.

frazzledbutcalm Fri 03-Oct-08 13:11:52

Can i ask what operation dd is having? If she's not allowed any kind of cold or anything then October is prob a bad time for hospital to arrange operation i think.

used2bthin Fri 03-Oct-08 13:17:25

I agree frazzledbutcalm and the silly thing is she was booked for March last year, then kept getting postponed/being ill then got given september so we got cancelled due to a cold then and she finally had it in November a week after having been in hospital with a virus. Its on her bladder. She has got a condition which makes her more vulnerable to illnesses so the aneasthetists are always very cautious with her but I think it is the same for all children that they can't be put under a general with a cold as it could affect their ability to breathe during the op. Could be wrong about that though. I was just saying today that August wold have been much better I wonder why it is always this time of year.

frazzledbutcalm Fri 03-Oct-08 13:21:27

I can't really see how its possible to pre arrange this. Its rare for children to have absolutely nothing wrong with them!

used2bthin Fri 03-Oct-08 13:24:19

I know! I wish I cold just ring them and say, "DD is actaully ok today shall I bring her in?" lol! It was the same last year. Must be the same for everyone though I guess. Although I thought last year I heard a Dad on the surgical ward saying his DD had had a bit of a cold and they still did her op which confused me.

frazzledbutcalm Fri 03-Oct-08 13:26:35

I'd ring and explain. Maybe ask if dd has to be 100%, ask how they can expect that, how does it work for others.

used2bthin Fri 03-Oct-08 13:29:11

I just think that if I ring they will say not to bring her tbh. It says on the letter not to bring them if they have a cold or have been in contact with any infectious diseases. I will ring sunday depending on how she is. Hard to know though as she has a slight blocked nose but not dripping snot or anything. Could get worse by sun of course but maybe it could clear up as it hasn't actually come to anything so far.

frazzledbutcalm Fri 03-Oct-08 13:33:50

But would they count blocked nose as a cold? Ds went to a ward where they also treated patients with immune deficiency problems so he had to be germ free. I can understand for that reason but it is very difficult to be germ free. Fingers crossed your dd will pass the test!

used2bthin Fri 03-Oct-08 13:39:12

Thanks frazzledbutcalm I hope it isn't counted as a cold. But wondering if it means she has, or is getting a cold iyswim? I think if she isn't looking likely to be accepted on sunday then I won't take her as I am worried they will do all the blood tests, stick the cannula in, have us over night etc then the aneasthetist sed us home in the morning due to her being blocked up as it seems to be worse in the morning. I suppose all Ican do is keep shoving in the echanasia and hope for the best.

frazzledbutcalm Fri 03-Oct-08 13:53:24

Good luck smile

used2bthin Fri 03-Oct-08 14:31:18

Thanks will update this thread. Have just made a bargain with myself that if all goes well with this op then I'll give up chocolate! Don't quite know who I 'm bargaining with but you never know!

frazzledbutcalm Fri 03-Oct-08 14:32:01

I could never give up chocolate! Good luck to you both!

frazzledbutcalm Mon 06-Oct-08 14:28:49

Any news? did they accept dd?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now