Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

can anyone talk to me about medised?

(12 Posts)
CrushWithEyeliner Thu 02-Oct-08 12:24:36

DD is 22m and has a rotten cold congestion being the main issue, therefore sleeping is really difficult for her. No fever.

Neighbour said she swears by Medised but it does make them drowsy so they sleep better.

Does it work on congestion also? Do you think this is OK to give her?

x

littlelapin Thu 02-Oct-08 12:31:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SaintRiven Thu 02-Oct-08 12:34:04

seemed to for dd but it did trigger her epielpsy too.

Wheelybug Thu 02-Oct-08 12:34:21

The antihistamine actively works on the congestion (well alleviates it) so it really does work wonders if your child has a cold (although some people do find it has the opposite effect as the antihistamine can make some children hyper). I took it once when I had a really snotty cold and couldn't sleep at night and the largest dose, along with a bottle of wine did wonders grin. I don't suggest you use the bottle of wine with a 22 month old though.

Hope she is feeling better soon.

becstarlitsea Thu 02-Oct-08 12:34:41

We use medised when DS has bad cold - it does help congestion and helps him sleep. Never give with Calpol as both contain paracetamol. Actually we never give any other meds at same time as medised, if he's having it, because I think of it as being 'strong stuff'!. If she's bunged up and needs to sleep, I think it's useful though. One thing we found is that DS got nightmares after he'd had it 4 nights in a row, so we're cautious with it now and just use it occasionally and only for really bad colds (funnily enough Sudafed gives me nightmares, maybe it's the same ingredient, dunno for sure!)

Cocolepew Thu 02-Oct-08 12:36:28

I find it works very well, rub Vicks on her chest or as LL says a Karvol plug in or the Karvol capsules on her jammies.

Seona1973 Thu 02-Oct-08 12:38:27

the antihistamine is to help 'clear blocked stuffy noses and eases nasal irritation associated with colds. It also helps restful sleep'. That was from the box btw.

It is only available for the over 2's now though so you may be asked what age your lo is when you buy it.

I do use it (or calpol night or calcold which are basically the same) when my lo's are congested and it seems to help. I dont really notice a difference in sleep patterns though.

CrushWithEyeliner Thu 02-Oct-08 12:59:15

ah - thank you all so much. have looked at the bottle she dropped in and it says for 3m +. I guess it is weighing the options for how awful she will feel with no sleep and a blocked nose VS the "scary" factor of the medicine ! Will see how it all goes thank you all - I love mumsnet!

CrushWithEyeliner Thu 02-Oct-08 13:00:24

just re-read

saint riven do you mean it triggered epilespsy if your DD shock

SmugColditz Thu 02-Oct-08 13:03:38

I have used medised on ds2 since he was about 9 months old, as it was an old bottle (although not out of date ) and nobody told me about the not giving it to under twos.

I only ever gave one dose a night, actually, and still do.

It DOES work on congenstion, it works very well, IMO. It seems to dry you out a bit though, they will wake up thirsty. I think it's night nurse for kids!

SaintRiven Thu 02-Oct-08 13:09:28

dd has epielpsy anyhow. But her seizures are pretty rare. However, when we've given her medised she has always then had a seizure that night.

SmugColditz Thu 02-Oct-08 13:16:59

I try not to give it to ds1 because it makes him wet the bed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: