Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

my 6mo throws up continuously - I'd love any advice (and a new carpet...)

(3 Posts)
nondomesticgoddess Wed 01-Oct-08 21:17:08

My ds has always been a sicky baby but I thought it might improve as he got older. Instead he seems to be worse. He brings up milk and food all day, irrespective of how recently he fed and what position he's in (although the state of his sheets indicates he's much better when sleeping).
He sleeps and feeds well (can't get enough). However, he is often very unsettled when awake and needs constant variation in activity and stimulation.
I had thought that perhaps his unhappiness was caused by teeting but now wonder if it might be linked to the vomiting and perhaps he's just really uncomfortable.
He is sitting and eating solid food three times a day but the situation has got worse rather than better.
1. Is it reflux?
2. Is there any medicine that can help?
3. Can a cranial osteopath help and how much does that cost?
I would be very grateful for any tips or similar experiences...

Elibean Wed 01-Oct-08 22:38:20

Reflux sometimes does get worse on solids, though some GPs will tell you 'it should get better' - I've seen countless MNers say their LO's reflux has got worse for a while. My dd2's did, too.

I would definitely talk to the GP about reflux. Some are well informed, some are not (mine wasn't, initially) so if you feel fobbed off I would push for a referral to a paediatrician.

The medicine that helped my dd was Ranitidine, and Domperidone, both given three times daily (I put it in her milk, eventually, much easier!) but some LOs take stronger meds such as Omeprazole, I think. The first line med for most GPs is Infant Gaviscon, which I think is probably less useful when a baby is weaned and which didnt' work at all with dd - just made her constipated, which made matters worse.

TBH, I found cranial osteopathy very helpful with dd1's cricked neck (transverse lie through most of my pg) but didn't do a thing for dd2's reflux, which needed medicating...though maybe others have had different experiences.

Whatever your ds's problem, I think you are absolutely right to seek help with the vomiting - it shouldn't be that frequent, and must make his life harder as well as yours: you both deserve some answers! Good luck, let us know what the GP says...

nondomesticgoddess Thu 02-Oct-08 13:04:07

Thanks for all that help. I'm off to see the GP later on today and I'm now feeling a lot more confident about it and therefore more likely to stand my ground! I'll let you know how we get on...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: