Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anyone have any experience of Montelukast Singulair Granules????

(6 Posts)
kathrynharriet Mon 29-Sep-08 21:11:45

Hi, hope someone can offer some help an advice! DD2 is 14months and has been on these since she was 6 months, for her asthma.Her breathing and wheeze is loads better as she was admitted from 9 weeks til 6 months around nine times. So far we have only had one serious bout in the last 3 months! The problem is she doesn't sleep! Well she does but wakes at least every 3/4 hours screaming v.upset, sometimes she doesn't seem totally awake? She is my DC3 the other two have always been fantastic sleepers and its really wearing us down! I have read the side effects on the meds and it does mention night waking anyone have any experience...
Thanks x

kathrynharriet Tue 30-Sep-08 22:35:57

Bump

kathrynharriet Thu 02-Oct-08 20:27:16

hazeyjane Fri 03-Oct-08 19:01:54

Just seen your thread, dd (2.6) was on this for asthma (mostly a night time cough) we found that she woke constantly with what seemed like night terrors ( screaming, not knowing who we were etc), it also didn't have a big effect on her cough. Our consultant, said that whilst it is rare, some children are particularly sensitive to these things (eg our dd became very hyper on salbutamol), and that it can cause nightmares and poor sleep. He took her off it and is now trying terbtualine(Brycanyl - sp?). Since stopping it, she has woken up screaming once (on the drug it was every night, 2 or 3 times a night).

I hope you get some help, because it is exhausting and so upsetting. Good luck smile

boohockey Fri 03-Oct-08 21:53:47

It may be just bad coincidence, my son was on it for ages with no ill effects, having said that it didn't have any good effects either!! If it's working keep at it, night terrors are very common in little ones and although they are awful to watch, the little ones don't remember them and they do grow out of them!
Good luck with it all, I remember it well and my heart goes out to you

kathrynharriet Tue 07-Oct-08 21:39:27

Thanks for your support! hazeyjane, she is on steriods atm as her wheeze an cough has been terrible this last week. So don't know how well the montelukast is working! She does seem hyper on salbutamol only for about 1/2 an hour after she has her spacer? boohockey, I don't want to take her off it as she has been better over the last six months! Hope your LO's are well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now