Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Talk me through ds1 asthma attack please....

(25 Posts)
KerryMum Sat 27-Sep-08 23:15:08

It just came on out of no where. Pretty bad. Hasn't had one in ages but needed his inhaler daily while we were away in crap hotel for 2 weeks. We are home now and he came down to me and said he couldn't breathe. He has had 3 x 2 puffs on his Ventolin inhaler and still iffy. I am thinking of putting him on nebulizer but ds2 had croup while we were gone and idiot xdh didn't clean it. urgh.

he's in my bed now so I can keep an eye on him.

KerryMum Sat 27-Sep-08 23:31:29

Can you die from asthma in your sleep?

[worried]

3littlefrogs Sat 27-Sep-08 23:35:54

Are you using his preventer, and have you increased it?

Is there an allergic component to his asthma? Just wondering if he was allergic to the bedding or something in the hotel?

Is he struggling? Is his chest recessing (sucking in).

What about his colour?

If you are worried, you should get medical advice - do you have nhs direct?

3littlefrogs Sat 27-Sep-08 23:37:14

If you think he needs nebuliser and yours isn't usable, can you take him to A&E?

KerryMum Sat 27-Sep-08 23:37:25

i'm in ireland.

he is sleeping now.

yes he has severe allergies. no recession on his chest. He just couldn't breath. color ok.

KerryMum Sat 27-Sep-08 23:38:04

I'm going to wash nebulizer tubes now in case he needs it during the night.

PootyApplewater Sat 27-Sep-08 23:38:50

Sounds allergic to me too.
DS2 came down with a bad attack from no-where a couple of weeks ago.

Is he wheezing, Kerry?

KerryMum Sat 27-Sep-08 23:40:12

not wheezing anymore phew.

he wasn't even really wheezing during attack. Just couldn't breathe at all sad ti was very strange.

3littlefrogs Sat 27-Sep-08 23:41:37

Just wondered if some antihistamine might help. If you are sure he is breathing ok, and asleep, perhaps you could just watch him? I would keep him in with you though. I guess it depends where you would have to take him if he got worse. Could you clean and reassemble the nebuliser now, while he is sleeping? Then at least it is ready if needed?

Hope he recovers soon, now he is back home.

3littlefrogs Sat 27-Sep-08 23:41:57

X posted.

cornsilk Sat 27-Sep-08 23:43:04

that must have been scary KM.

KerryMum Sat 27-Sep-08 23:45:10

I am so crap. I thought he came down to me just because he wanted to stay up and was giving out to him to go to bed. sad

cornsilk Sat 27-Sep-08 23:46:02

I would probably have had the same thought - don't beat yourself up over it.

Saturn74 Sat 27-Sep-08 23:46:45

Don't beat yourself up, Kerry.
He's sounds settled now.
Anti-histamine is a good idea if he wakes.
I hope you both get a restful night.
x

KerryMum Sat 27-Sep-08 23:54:12

thanks lads.

I'm a bit worried as he's very stiff in my bed. For a nanosecond I thought he was dead!!!! shock But his hand is raised up and stiff in a fist.

Only problem is ds2 always comes into me during the night and there's no room for all 3 of us.

Saturn74 Sat 27-Sep-08 23:55:44

Is he propped up on plenty of pillows?
Could you bring his mattress in and put it next to your bed?
You could crash on that if DS2 comes in.

cornsilk Sat 27-Sep-08 23:55:57

They scare you when they sleep like that don't they? Will ds2 go back to his own bed?

3littlefrogs Sat 27-Sep-08 23:56:55

Have you checked his breathing rate, and his pulse?

KerryMum Sat 27-Sep-08 23:57:34

I will have to put ds2 back into his room tonight at least. i've just been away for 2 weeks and he misses me sad room is too small to bring mattress in. will just stay up for a while and read I think.

Anifrangapani Sat 27-Sep-08 23:57:49

Dd had a wheezy attack the other day - ambulance and all. never had an attack before. Apparently a bug of some sort. 2 nights in hospital later, neb and steroids. 3 other kids at her school also had the same problem on the same night.

KerryMum Sun 28-Sep-08 00:08:56

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm [furrowed brow]

xdh said he kept ds1 off of school on Friday becase of croupy cough and he was quite chesty even last night when I came in.

maybe it is a bug then?

I haven't been giving him his preventer since we went away sad

Saturn74 Sun 28-Sep-08 00:22:35

I'm off to bed now.
I hope you all get a good rest tonight, KM.

3littlefrogs Sun 28-Sep-08 10:23:03

Hope he is feeling better this morning Kerrymum.

My ds2 had very bad asthma when he was small. The best piece of advice the GP gave me was never, ever stop his preventer, under any circumstances, and always increase it if he showed signs of an attack. The reliever on its own is just not enough.

Hope you all got some rest.

KerryMum Sun 28-Sep-08 11:00:08

He seems fine this morning smile

It was very cramped in the bed with both boys and me last night. ds2 fell out at one point so I put him in the middle and he proceeded to crush poor ds1 so I decanted to ds2's bed.

I will start preventer again. It just makes him a bit hyper. sad

3littlefrogs Sun 28-Sep-08 12:50:42

Maybe you have been through all this, but I am surprised his preventer makes him hyper - usually it is the reliever that does that. Could he try a different one?

Ds2 did very well on pulmicort, but we had to try several different relievers. (Ventolin was horrendous, for example - his heart rate used to go way up).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now