Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Did I do the right thing? I persuaded GP to prescribe an alternative to Flucloxacillin.

(10 Posts)
OhWellNeverMind Sat 27-Sep-08 19:33:52

DD3 has a skin infection. So took her to walk in centre.

My past experiences with Fluclox have been horrific, with 2 of my 3 DDs.

She was going to prescribe fluclox, so I politely asked "is there an alternative, as DD3 does not like fluclox?". My rationale is that antibiotics are not very effective when they are coating the sofa grin.

I think she mis-interpretted and started to tell me kids generally don't like medicine, it's just life....

She said she could prescribe Amoxycillin but it wouldn't work as well, as the fluclox is spefically designed against the bacteria causing skin infections.

I tried to repeat my explaination - that I was concerned that if she had fluclox she would not swallow it and therefore she would not recieve any ABs. I was asking if the less effective amoxyl may therefore be the more effective option IYSWIM.

Anyway - she just said that she would give me Amoxyl and if it wasn't working I would have to let my GP sort it out on Monday...

I wasn't trying to be obtuse. I was just trying to see if there was an effective alternative. If there is not, there is not.

Anyway she sent me out with a prescription for erythomycin hmm...

Did I do the right thing.

christywhisty Sat 27-Sep-08 20:52:54

My Ds had an infection in his thumbnail when he was about 2 or 3. Doctor prescribed fluxocillan (sp) I spent all day trying to get him to take it, hiding it in drinks, dinner etc. I then decided it and it was really disgusting.He usually had no problems taking medicine.

Spoke to chemist and he agreed about the fluxocillan and told me to go back to the doctor. She gave him amoxicillin (again excuse sp) and it worked.
I do agree with you something less effective is better than nothing at all. Fluxocillin is really foul.

I panicked when my dd burnt her hand and had to have a skin graft and they said she would need fluxocillan but thankfully they gave it to her intraveniously.

DevilsAdvocaat Sat 27-Sep-08 20:55:58

it is rank and i would not give it to anyone!
amoxy is fine app for skin infections.

madamy Sat 27-Sep-08 20:58:06

Erythromycin is the alternative to fluclox for people who are allergic to penicillin, so good choice!

OhWellNeverMind Sun 28-Sep-08 09:10:49

Thanks guys.

I think she was just trying to put the guilt trip on me for questioning her.

DD3 is not too keen on the erthromycin, but nevertheless is not so unkeen that a spot of bribary isn't working ATM.

TrinityRhino Sun 28-Sep-08 09:14:27

dd2 who is three has had to take this rank stuff three seperate time in the last 9 months

four times a day for a week each time

for infected molluscum

bless her heart she took it each time with no trouble but afterwards she would look like she was going to retch and look like she was going to cry

she always had a drink ready and lots of praise

I have tasted it, it really is the most rank thing I have ever tasted and it lingers

I think you did the right thing

Guadalupe Sun 28-Sep-08 09:16:37

dd wouldn't take her AB's once, I just could not get them in her. The chemist made it up in a different base, think it was orange instead of banana or something, can't remember which was round but she was better with it.

Guadalupe Sun 28-Sep-08 09:17:16

which way round

OhWellNeverMind Sun 28-Sep-08 09:20:39

Problem with Fluclox is that it just tastes of pure chemical. The flavouring does not disguise the chemical taste.

Apparently the if you ask the GP to prescribe Floxapen which is the original brand name rather than the generic it tastes better....after annoying the GP I wasn't prepared to suggest that though cos I wasn't sure how much better it would taste, and if costs a lot more to the NHS.

Guadalupe Sun 28-Sep-08 09:24:21

maybe that was it then, he definitely frowned and hmmmmed and said he could make something else up but he had to get his book out and do measurements. It wasn't great but it didn't make her twist and retch and scream, especially with a button popped in quickly after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now