Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

SIL's 4mo DS is constipated - what can help?

(7 Posts)
mishymoo Fri 26-Sep-08 21:31:09

My SIL's DS is constipated having only recently switched from breast milk to formula. He is really straining and she is a little concerned.

I have recommended diluted prune juice or orange juice. Is this okay for this age or is there anything else that could help?

Sidge Fri 26-Sep-08 21:34:13

Personally I wouldn't give a 4 month old fruit juice, even diluted, as it's acidic. I would check that the bottles are being made up correctly (water first then powder) and avoid SMA which made my eldest really constipated, as well as my nephew and a few other friends' babies. Prune juice can have quite a vigorous effect.

I would offer small amounts of extra water but only if the baby didn't then reduce the amount of milk it took.

WigWamBam Fri 26-Sep-08 21:35:59

Straining doesn't necessarily mean constipation, although switching to formula can cause babies to be constipated.

I wouldn't recommend either orange or prune juice at this age; it's hard for babies immature digestive systems to cope with. A little plain water might be helpful though.

She can gently massage his tummy in clockwise circles, lie him on his back and bicycle his legs, then put him in a warm bath. All three can help.

mishymoo Fri 26-Sep-08 21:39:13

I did say not to give him too much - maybe an ounce! I did also say to drink lots of water. Will tell her about massaging his tummy and a warm bath.

Thanks for the advice.

Ewe Fri 26-Sep-08 21:44:13

Is pooh hard? Like pellets? Is his stomach solid/firm? My DD strains but is not constipated and I was told it's common to think this means they are constipated but it's not that common for a baby under six months to be constipated.

If he is eating and isn't crying lots with colicky symptoms they are happy for 7 days to pass with no bowel movement.

MascaraOHara Fri 26-Sep-08 21:44:29

Hi my dd suffered terribly from constipation birth through to about 3 or 4yo.. when she was very small my gp recommended making feeds up with half the amount of formula so that it was more watery.. after a few months we moved on to lactulose which really helps.

Agree with the massaging tummy.

I would also say that it's hard not to feel concerned when you know your baby hasn't pooed for days and is obviously in discomfort.. if that happens it's worth a trip to the GP.

notsoteenagemum Fri 26-Sep-08 21:48:20

My DD was constipated at 6 days old, the midwives told me to give half an oz of orange juice with 2oz of cooled boiled water from syringe (was bfing) it worked v.well!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now