Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

lill ds has just had mmr hope he will be ok

(27 Posts)
kee27 Fri 26-Sep-08 13:26:25

any one ever delt with the ilsness sum have after

LIZS Sat 27-Sep-08 11:28:40

dd was really unwell within a day or so. No rashes though

kee27 Tue 30-Sep-08 14:44:20

thanks hun x ds seemes to be ok so far . touch wood he stays like it x

Shitehawk Tue 30-Sep-08 14:47:19

Dd was listless and grumpy for a couple of days after the MMR and a bit poorly with a slight rash about ten days later, but nothing hugely horrible - no worse than a cold really.

georgiemum Tue 30-Sep-08 14:48:56

DS was fine but some kids get a temperature agter jabs. Calpol, lots of liquids and rest works wonders.

kee27 Tue 30-Sep-08 15:02:44

thanks come to think of it he has been a lill less happy which is not like him and a bit more clingey . but they do recon they can have side affects up 2 3 weks later dont they

georgiemum Tue 30-Sep-08 15:05:09

Not sure... 2-3 weeks sounds a little long and they always seems to be picking up some bug or another! Hope he's ok - lots of hugs and spoiling!

kee27 Tue 30-Sep-08 15:10:20

thanks hun x

kee27 Tue 30-Sep-08 15:12:06

dont u find that there has been so much outrage over the mmr . i had one mum at the school tell me that i was out of order having it and that if anything happend it was on my head . i was so shock ed . and said well if my ds caught any thing i would be more up set .

georgiemum Tue 30-Sep-08 15:28:53

How dare she!

Doesn't she know that kids can die from measles (or can become blind), or is she just hoping that some other kid who hasn't been immunised won't pass measles, mumps or rubella on to hers? This is more likely than autism. So many parents I know get their kids jabbed then ring up to say 'they're ok' - as if they are playing russian roulette!

I saw something in the newspapers at the weekend about the doctor who started it all popping up in the US advising celebs on autism in their kids (Jim Carey's kid is autistic).

It makes me mad to think that people actually put their kids health at risk on the basis of unproven research (the first studies were done on an increadibly small sample of kids) and there are studies that prove the opposite (ie in Japan). I have discussed this with a few psychologists and they agree that the main problem is that the diagnosis of kids on the spectrum is more common these days because people are aware of the condition (I think that most people are on the spectrum somewhere!).

If you are that concerned get the 3 done seperately privately. But please don't stop these diseases being eradicated.

I realise that autism must be devistating for the families of those who have it, but we need to focus research on other possible reasons for it.

pagwatch Tue 30-Sep-08 15:35:09

Actually Georgie
The Doctor who 'started it all' is working on a support project in the States helping children with autism and bowel problems. Not quite as sensational as the papers portray but hey !
And my son was one of the children who developed autism and bowel problems after his MMR so I am slightly less convinced by the psycologists you have spoken to.
My sons Consultant Paediatrician believes the numbers are rising at a ridiculous rate and something is triggering that massive increase.
And no study has ever proved that the MMR does not cause autism.

So I guess we believe what we choose.

FWIW kee27 the woman who spoke to you is a berk - take no notice.
I hope your little one starts to feel better soon ! I am sure he will be fine. If you are concerned pop back to the Doctor

kee27 Tue 30-Sep-08 15:37:53

thats how i feel hun . i wanted to say to her but i was so shocked as u would be . but like my nurse that did ds jabs . that if the risk was so hight they would not even give them . but my ds 8 and dd4 both had the mmr and thank god they did as my ds 8 caught a mild virsion of measles. and could have been a lot worse if he didnt have the jab done . but she just looked at me as if i was a bad mum hahahah ow well its her prob rilly as they are my kids and i have the health as priorty as i told her lol silly lady

kee27 Tue 30-Sep-08 15:43:16

but i do understand the mums out there that may have probs with it being done . just no need to be so rude to other mums who have no prob with it . and didnt they say . im no exp but there has to be something the gens that trigger off bad side affects not 100% tho

kee27 Tue 30-Sep-08 15:44:15

forgot to say sorry to hear about ur son pag x

pagwatch Tue 30-Sep-08 15:46:46

Of course she had no excuse to be rude to you - or to inflict her views on you.
My boy is doing well thanks kee.smile

kee27 Tue 30-Sep-08 16:00:33

smile ue welcome thanks every one fo ur help x x

georgiemum Tue 30-Sep-08 16:17:33

Sorry Pag - didn't mean to go off on a Head Girl rant there - you will know far more about the subject than I do. My friend is a nurse as told me about a little girl she had on the ward who hadn't had the MMR (parents 'didn't believe in jabs') and got really really sick (blinded). And did the parents feel sorry about not immunising her? No - they blamed their doctor for 'not doing enough'.

Hope your little one is OK.

kee27 Tue 30-Sep-08 16:42:32

omg poor baby

witchandchips Tue 30-Sep-08 16:50:43

Think there are three important questions. First is the MMR responsible for the recent rise is reported cases of Autism? (strong evidence suggesting no)
Second does MMR trigger autism in certain children? (anecdotal evidence says yes, no conclusive proof either way - only rational answer is perhaps)
Third as a parent is the best choice to have the jabs or not (my feeling is yes as chance that your child is one of the ones likely to be triggered by the vaccine is much lower than chance he will have an adverse reaction to the diseases themselves)

pagwatch Tue 30-Sep-08 16:57:17

FWIW I think the MMR remains a reasonable option for most children. Just not mine.

It would just be nice ifthere was just a bit more attention paid to the children who seem to have post MMR regression including bowel issues rather than this kind of 'yes it is' 'no it isn't' thing that breaks out.

I think any blame re child illness is pretty heartless whatever happens.
My DC's have ( for obvious reasons) not had any further jabs. I would have to deal with the consequences should they get sick. But cannot personally risk another catastrophic reaction.
I think we should do our best and stop blame. We all just do the best for our children as best we know how.

kee27 Tue 30-Sep-08 17:13:54

pag can i just ask how long after did ur ds have a reacion was it instant or weeks or days later

pagwatch Tue 30-Sep-08 17:20:29

sure
he was very poorly almost straight away with a high temperature. the lump where the jab went in got very big and red and was hot to touch. He seemed white and out of sorts for several weeks - often quite sleepy and reluctant to play.
When he started eating properly again all his food choices started to changeand he started to reject foods he had eaten a lot before.
Then he started screaming when he was upset. I didn't imediately notice it but he stopped talking and then stopped babbleing - so within a few weeks he was only silent or screaming.
Aboutthe same time he became either very clingy or wouldn't want anyone near him.

He had the jab in April. By the time we reached July he had lost many of his skills, he was not making eye contact and i had to put him in nappies all the time because he had stopped trying to use the potty. He was also very violent very aggressive and very destructive.
We had appts set up by early Aug and he was diagnosed bwtween Sept and jan.
So three months to go from happy smily 18 month old to violent aggressive non communicative child.

Marne Tue 30-Sep-08 17:32:57

I agree with Pagwatch, both my dd's have autism (both had the MMR), if i had another child i would opt for the seperate injections. I dont know if the MMR caused my girls autism but i would'nt take the risk again. But thats just my opinion and i would'nt force it on others. Dd2 is 2.7 and has the mental age of an 18 month old, its like her development stopped at 18 months (around the time she had her MMR).

At the end of the day its up to the parent.

kee27 Tue 30-Sep-08 17:35:56

ahh bless him hun i dont know how u must have felt but i can see now by talking to u how u must feel as u have had the worse out come . from having the jab ur poor ds. wish u all the best hun x x x x x x xkee

kalo12 Tue 30-Sep-08 20:22:53

Can someone please tell me what you do if you don't have the MMR. Do you have a different jab? How come they are safe in a single dose? What about if you never have any? do you inform nursery/school etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now