Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What kind of doctor would be appropriate to look at DS' feet, which turn out a bit?

(6 Posts)
AtheneNoctua Wed 24-Sep-08 11:20:51

DS is 3 and his feet turn out, especially the right one. I am concerned. I have noticed it since he started walking, but thought he would grow out of it. Now he is 3 and the new nanny mentioned it to me this morning. And it made me think that it's not just me noticing this and he should go to a doctor. Now, fully expecting the the NHS fob off when I show up at the GP, I feel I should be informed and know what kind of referral I am asking for. I certainly don't want to let this go and then be told that it's too late and I should have done something sooner.

AtheneNoctua Wed 24-Sep-08 12:45:55


Saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 24-Sep-08 12:46:51

Podiatrist ot orthotist.

Sidge Wed 24-Sep-08 12:48:43

The GP may be able to refer you to a paediatric podiatrist for biomechanical assessment, and if necessary insoles for his shoes.

If the problem seems to originate from his hip or knee (ie if his gait is unusual, he swings the leg from the hip or knee rather than just turning the foot out) then you may be referred to an orthopaedic consultant.

AtheneNoctua Wed 24-Sep-08 16:28:22

Can anyone recommend a reputable podiatrist in West London. I could go private at a push, but would rather get him looked at on the NHS if this is possible.

NorbertDentressangle Wed 24-Sep-08 16:31:09

Your GP will refer you to the local NHS Paediatric Podiatry clinic

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: