Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

anyone used DACTACORT on nappy rash? Advice please.

(5 Posts)
snooks Wed 24-Sep-08 08:34:01

Is it safe to use dactacort on broken/bleeding skin?

dd (5months) was prescribed dactacort for nappy rash on her ladybits last week - and it worked where everything else had failed. This week she has come down with a nasy chest infection and developed a bright red bum with small patches that look like they're bleeding (i think because she keeps pooing every time she coughs sad). the box it came in disintegrated so i threw it away - and like an idiot the leaflet as well.

Any advice/experience please?

snooks Wed 24-Sep-08 08:51:45

bump

snooks Wed 24-Sep-08 09:21:28

bump

emma1977 Wed 24-Sep-08 11:07:41

Yes, its fine to use.

I have found using a thin layer of metanium, letting it dry and then applying loads of zinc and castor oil cream with each nappy change seems to do the trick.

Wet wipes make the rash go beserk, so stick to cotton wool and water. And don't forget the obvious stuff like regular nappy changes and as much nappy-free time as possible.

snooks Wed 24-Sep-08 18:22:22

thanks emma, I called the gp first thing this morning and she phoned me back and said it was ok. So at the moment we are using the dactacort with a thin layer of metanium over the top. I have heard zinc/castor oil ointment mentioned before though, so may give that a go when things are hopefully back to normal smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now