Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS1 is having his tonsils out on Friday....<sob>;......anything I need to know or take with me?

(12 Posts)
Majeika Tue 23-Sep-08 18:18:50

he is quite excited about the whole thing.

I am on my second glass of wine at the thought of it! blush

Apparantly the worst thing is when he is 'put out' and goes to sleep.....

sad how do people cope with their children regularly going into hospital?
Hats off to all of you.

So, what do I need to do or think about or take with me?

Please support me - am a wreck!!

<<At least the spot on my bum didnt turn into something worse than I thought though - every cloud and all that!!>>

nic06 Tue 23-Sep-08 18:24:19

How old is he? My DD had hers removed last year aged 2.........

Littlefish Tue 23-Sep-08 18:49:29

I had mine removed when I was 18. I felt like absolute death for the next few days. However, the two young boys (aged about 7 or 8) who had theirs done on the same day, were up and about and raring to go within a few hours! I've heard that it's one of those operation that is worse, the older you get.

EColi Tue 23-Sep-08 19:04:08

To take - some sort of new or favourite toys to distract him from being starving before the op. Fave snack to eat afterwards (oh yes they want to eat afterwards), change of clothes/pjs for him in case he vomits after the snack, change of top (at least) for you in case you cuddle him whilst he's coming round from the anesthetic and he dribbles blood down your front (oh the looks I had on the way home!)

mummyplonk Tue 23-Sep-08 19:09:41

Oh Majeika, am right here with you (minus the wine unfortunatley)

DS1 (3yrs old) is being admitted for tonsils & adennoids removal tommorrow. Feel so sad and scared for him. Does anyone know how long the op takes? How long roughly he'll be under? and if there is any special medicine I should have at home for him? Am not looking forward to him not having his morning milk when he wakes at 6.30am he will go potty.

nic06 Tue 23-Sep-08 19:27:49

mummy you would be amazed at how well hey deal with it, my main worry was the morning just like you. They seem to cope fine though and my DD didn't even ask for milk/brekkie she just seemed to know. Hang out for as long as you can upstairs in the morning, watch tv or whatever and then by the time you all get dressed it will hopefully be time to get straight in the car!
Take books if your ds likes them - plenty of reading while you wait around, but ususally the change of scene is distraction enough and there will be plenty of activities there. They don't usually keep little ones waiting too long before they go down, so by the time he is changed and everything is done he will go down to theatre. You and DH/OH/ANYONE! can go too, but only one in the theatre with him. Then you can stay while they put him under and see that he is comfortable before you go away and pace the floors for about 40mins I think....then you will be called back to the recovery room so that you are the first person he sees when he wakes. It will be fine I'm sure. They will give you antibiotics etc to come home with and tell you what he needs when, just make sure you have plenty of calpol and nurofen at home.
Take his fave food/drink - they like to see them eating as normally as poss as quickly as poss.
Lots of experience here, can you tell?!
Good lick for tomorrow x

nic06 Tue 23-Sep-08 19:37:16

Good luck even!!

reikizen Tue 23-Sep-08 19:44:20

I had mine out when I was 10 and the pain afterwards was amazing. I was in for 3 days (without my parents) so was pretty awful but my Mum left me an envelope with letters in from her and my siblings for when I woke up. No parents in the recovery room in those days! yuk, thank goodness things are different now! PS I loved the going to sleep bit tho!

Majeika Tue 23-Sep-08 19:49:22

Thanks everyone

He is 6 btw.

Majeika Thu 25-Sep-08 16:42:20

mummyplonk - how did it go?

am dreading tomorrow..................

kee27 Fri 26-Sep-08 13:16:37

my lill dd had her adniods and gromits done in july just b4 her 4th birtday .and she has to go and have her tonsils out in feb. as they said it will be to much to have done it all at once . but when she came round from the ansetick he he carnt spell that lol . she was like nothing had been done she just wanted her sweets lol . so gd luck he will be fine but know . how u feel about putting them to sleep i made dh take dd lol as i was like a bag of nervs . but they r so gd with kids i feel well they was with mine

Majeika Sat 27-Sep-08 14:39:38

Got there at 7am

Gown and magic cream on

Anaesthetist turned up and said ds looked very pale and could be anaemic.

Turned out ds was anaemic.

Operation cancelled.

Came home at 2pm after lots of blood tests for ds.

sad what a waste of time and energy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now