Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Someone calm me down please

(12 Posts)
whoops Tue 23-Sep-08 15:53:03

Ds saw a consultant last week as he has been found to have large amounts of protein in his urine. Blood tests were done and his urine was sent off to be analysed
I've come home to have a message from the consultant asking me to ring him back but now it is just going to the answerphone and I'm really worried that there is something really not right with ds now.

fryalot Tue 23-Sep-08 15:57:58

okay, okay, first of all, calm down, you are not going to be any help to ds at all if you are worked up.

Secondly, what does the answerphone say? is the consultant gone for the day or just not available right now?

All this latest thing means is that the consultant presumably has the results back and wants to discuss them with you. It could be that they are completely fine and he wants to tell you himself.

There is absolutely nothing you can do until you have spoken to the consultant, so keep trying him, or leave a message on his answerphone, but in the meantime try to stay calm.

Whatever the outcome, your little boy is going to be in the best hands and will have lots of people caring for him, especially a nice, calm mummy.

You could try ringing your GP I suppose and seeing if they can tell you anything.

Now make yourself a cup of tea and have a biscuit, try to pretend everything is perfectly normal.

xx

whoops Tue 23-Sep-08 16:02:36

ds isn't here at the moment (thankfully)
The message just says there is no one to take the call at the moment
He said he would only ring us if he was concerned about the results as we have an ultrasound booked for 9th Oct so they can see what is going on and then have another appointment to go back on the 19th Nov.
Am tempted to ring gp but don't know if she would be able to see the results anyway

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 23-Sep-08 16:04:10

Do you have a general hospital number, You could try that and see whether you can be put through to his secretary.

whoops Tue 23-Sep-08 16:08:36

Just tried that it has gone straight to his answerphone again.
Guess I will just have to wait til I get a call back

mummydoc Tue 23-Sep-08 16:09:27

if this is an nhs consultant ring the hospital and ask them to page him or call him on his mobile, or try his secretary though that maybe the number you have been trying, if it a private consultant ring the private hospitla or clinic your ds was seen at and explain that you need ot contac tthe consultant.

FabioVicePeeperPlopper Tue 23-Sep-08 16:10:15

He might be being overcautious.
He might have found something in the blood results that make an ultrasound pointless.
He might be calling because the lab buggered upthe blood tests.
He might be calling to double check on something.
He might want to update you on teh bloods.
He might've forgotten he said he'd only phone if he were concerned.
It could be lots of things.
If it were madly urgent he'd've kept phoning until he spoke to you or sent an ambulance round.

It might not be urgent at all - but the consultant is a twit for not leaving more of a message.

MatNanPlus Tue 23-Sep-08 16:10:59

Have you left him a message with your name, the date and time of your call Whoops?

fryalot Tue 23-Sep-08 16:11:26

whoops - it may be something simple like the test was buggered and they need to re-do it, or there may be a slight problem with it and want to talk to you.

It doesn't necessarily mean it is bad news.

But if it is bad news, we'll deal with that when it happens. There is no point worrying about it right now, you'll only get yourself in a state and be less able to deal with what comes next.

(I know that it is really easy for me to say "calm down" and "don't worry" btw, not so easy for you to actually DO it)

Can you clean a bedroom or something that will take a little bit of time and take you away from the phone for a bit (but where you can still hear it obviously)

Helsbels4 Tue 23-Sep-08 16:13:38

Oh Whoops, what a horrible situation to be in. I would do as mummydoc suggested and contact the hospital. Tell them he left a message for you. At least then you'll find out if he's still in the hospital or not. I really hope you don't have to wait overnight to hear from him and fingers crossed that all will be ok.

whoops Tue 23-Sep-08 17:17:07

Ok I have spoken to the doc now!
He has told me his kidney function is fine but needs to find out why protein is leaking so has brought the ultrasound forward to this Thursday and has booked ds in for the 2nd to have a biopsy if the kidneys look enlarged.
He seems to think this problem has been going on for over a year as there were high levels of protein in his urine when he was admitted to hospital with constipation in July 07 but nothing was ever done about it the angry
hopefully this could be the reason behind his slow growth too

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 23-Sep-08 17:18:07

Glad you got through to him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now