Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

i have spent 2 hours trying to hold non-potty trained DD still while i keep a urine pot between her legs. how do you make a chil pee???

(17 Posts)
artichokes Tue 23-Sep-08 09:05:58

any tips to save my sanity?
DD v ill, discharged last night on promise i would return with wee specimen first thing. she wonn't pee and hates me holding pot there. help!

artichokes Tue 23-Sep-08 09:07:15

sorry about typos. right hand is holding ppot...

suwoo Tue 23-Sep-08 09:07:32

Haven't they given you one of those things that they stick on? It goes over her vagina and catches the wee.

Surfermum Tue 23-Sep-08 09:08:33

I seem to remember when I had to do this someone suggested putting a clean flannel in her nappy to collect the wee.

artichokes Tue 23-Sep-08 09:09:24

stick on? no. sounds great. i just have pot with a funnel thing.

artichokes Tue 23-Sep-08 09:12:20

was told no to nappy and no to potty (dd is just 2 and will sometimes sit on potty).
paed said both can lead`to contaminated results.
have tried warm flannel on bladder, making her listen to running water, hand in warm water.
prob is that she is a bit dehydrated with high fever.

suwoo Tue 23-Sep-08 09:13:39

DD had one of the stick on things and I have read people on here have had them too (We were in Portugal at the time). Could you ask if the doctors/hospital has one?

suwoo Tue 23-Sep-08 09:14:12

Feet in warm water is supposed to make you wee.

EffiePerine Tue 23-Sep-08 09:14:30

so sorry to hear about your DD artichokes
we had a similar prob with DS in hosp - sat there for hours with a pee bottle, then he stood up to walk around and promptly peed on the floor hmm.

Maybe relax a bit, sit her on a towel on your knee and hope to catch some when she does start weeing?

hazeyjane Tue 23-Sep-08 09:16:12

we were told by hospital to put some cotton wool in dd's nappy, then put wet cotton wool in a medicine syringe (need a failry big one!) and squeeze wee out into tube, we got about a centimetre of wee out this way, but was a bit fiddly.

psychomum5 Tue 23-Sep-08 09:19:12

I used to have to do this a lot with DD3 (many wee infections and kidney infections).

put her in a bath of coldish water, only to stand.......DD3 always pee'd then!

I even told the nurses how I 'caught' the wee, and they tipped off all parents after that.

<<hoping it works nowwink>>

artichokes Tue 23-Sep-08 12:31:59

Psycho you are a genius. Saw your tip, tried it, instant success. Rushed off to hospital with small pot of uncontaminated wee. We are all home again now and hopefully it will stay that way. Thank you.

The mad thing is that they think DD's fever (40.6 degrees yesterday) is due to a throat infection, so I am not totally clear why they decided to set us the wee collection challenge.

psychomum5 Tue 23-Sep-08 12:38:52

grin

I am so thrilled it worked.

DD3 often came down with tonsil infections at the same time as wee infections. not totally sure why, but she gets dehydrated quickly so often wondered if the sore throat made hre drink less, made her wee less = wee infection too, or if the wee infection made her feel crappy and so her throat got sore too.......

((sorry if that did not make sense, does in my head but not sure when seeing it written downhmmwink))

anyway.......fingers crossed all is ok.

<<psycho is now off to write said tip to MNHQ.....a first for me I think>>

EffiePerine Tue 23-Sep-08 12:39:15

That's great

Is she feeling a bit better? There's a lot of throaty things going round atm - DS's CM is suffering from tonsilitis and he's been a bit coughy and wheezy.

Sycamoretree Tue 23-Sep-08 12:46:50

That's a great tip Psychomum - wish I had known it when my DD was in hospital with a urine infection - they had to resort to a catheter! BUT - she struggled so much with them trying to put it in she eventually peed in their faces LOL grin luckily one of the nurses had a bowl handy and caught enough for them to test.

Sycamoretree Tue 23-Sep-08 12:47:14

Psychomum - send that one to mumsent tips! It's great.

psychomum5 Tue 23-Sep-08 13:22:14

I have

they better use it now<<glares at MNHQ>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now